Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, March 19 2024 @ 12:41 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

My GeekLog 2 Wish List

ByteEnable

Forum User
Is this place for a wish list?

• Ability to make blocks permament.So they cannot be turned off.
  • Multipage articles with option to view entire page at once.
  • Ability to change "from name" when using digest (COM_mail)(Settings)
  • Ability to have a caption with images.
  • Ability to center an image [image1_center]
  • Need an Adminitrator settings panel to add/change custom variables.
  • Ability to change topic icon per story (same topic, different graphic)...I currently do it manually.
  • Ability to add "Whats Related Links" that show up in "Whats Related"
  • Ability to add/remove blocks from right side on story views
  • Ability to custom configure RSS feed details, like site name,site logo, etc.
  • Ability to select intro text from articles for RSS feeds.
  • Ability to have a time based RSS feed (like all artilcles for past 24hrs).
  • Ability to add a link to the Poll question so it points to a story.
  • Ability to add more than one link in plugin_getusermenu
  • Ability to have a timeout range that deletes accounts with no activity.
  • Master list of all variables so we dont have to search through lines of code.

These are all the hacks I have done on my site with the exception of the Mulitpage articles, but I have been thinking about how to do it.

AppleBoy

Anonymous
I would also like to add:
- Have a built in ban manager that can do bans by IP, username, email addy, etc.

I can't think of anything else but if I do I'll post them

IP_Comment_Ban

Anonymous
The Ban plugin is good. However, it would be nice to be able to ban IP's for comments only.

AppleBoy

Anonymous
I like most of ByteEnable's ideas except for this one:
ability to make blocks permanent - what's the point of this? just don't have people that you don't trust be able to mess with the blocks

- As for the RSS feeds there should be a built in administration feature for RSS feeds to edit all of those things
- Ban's should also have its own admin section.
- ability to use emoticons in stories
- plugins and themes should have a list as to which versions of geeklog they work on as between some of the versions of geeklog they seem to stop working and its annoying as hell.
- for calendar add some code to be able to do reaccuring events and save event descriptions that you know will be added in here or there and don't want to rewrite

plugin ideas:
- todo list for each user and site wide (like the calendar)
- contact list (user and site)
- a viewcvs like option for repos

I'm going to talk to the developers and see if I can't join in on helping out with gl2 as it doesn't seem to have much progress being made.
Kyle

Blaine

Forum User
Quote by AppleBoy: doesn't seem to have much progress being made.
Kyle
Hum .. not sure that comment will be all that inviting but you sound like a good apple Tony and Vince can always use help and there have been numerous posts requesting help and participation.

There actually has been a fair amount of progress on the core components. With summer, now hunting season, a new house and a new baby on the way our friend Tony has been pretty busy.
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

AppleBoy

Anonymous
sorry, i spoke too soon, I was looking on the link on the mainpage and hadn't found any good links until i started going through the rest of the posts
as for everything else, there seems to be a lot of dead links related to it
I can't view the gl-devel archives, when i try to reply to geeklog2-devel-request@lists.geeklog.net I get an error because that addy doesn't exist, and all of that is kinda bumming me out

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by AppleBoy: I can't view the gl-devel archives

All posts to geeklog-devel are also posted to geeklog-devtalk once or twice per day, so you'll find everything in the geeklog-devtalk archives.

Quote by AppleBoy: geeklog2-devel-request@lists.geeklog.net I get an error because that addy doesn't exist

Yeah, the mailing list server isn't exactly in good shape right now. Tony is working on it, though ...

Until then, start posting in geeklog-devtalk.

bye, Dirk

vinny

Site Admin
Admin
Now that 1.3.10 is starting to roll I'll probably have a bit of time to get working on GL2 again. In the next week (or two) I'll try to update the GL2 Wiki with some additional information. If I'm really feeling abitious I'll include a todo list and information for interested contributors.

-Vinny

P.S. Don't worry Dirk, I'll also spend some time working the pdf issues.

Nightdude

Forum User
Chatty
Will the Forum be part of Geeklog 2? That is my wish.

offsuit.com

Anonymous
This is an old thread, and my question is random...but...

I have hacked my site alot as well...and I am really confused about something, hoping you can clear it up.

HOW DO YOU UPGRADE? Should I keep a list of every file I have changed? How do I know if the new release updates that file? How do I mere my changes? Etc..?

--Nate
www.offsuit.com

Quote by ByteEnable: Is this place for a wish list?

• Ability to make blocks permament.So they cannot be turned off.
  • Multipage articles with option to view entire page at once.
  • Ability to change "from name" when using digest (COM_mail)(Settings)
  • Ability to have a caption with images.
  • Ability to center an image [image1_center]
  • Need an Adminitrator settings panel to add/change custom variables.
  • Ability to change topic icon per story (same topic, different graphic)...I currently do it manually.
  • Ability to add "Whats Related Links" that show up in "Whats Related"
  • Ability to add/remove blocks from right side on story views
  • Ability to custom configure RSS feed details, like site name,site logo, etc.
  • Ability to select intro text from articles for RSS feeds.
  • Ability to have a time based RSS feed (like all artilcles for past 24hrs).
  • Ability to add a link to the Poll question so it points to a story.
  • Ability to add more than one link in plugin_getusermenu
  • Ability to have a timeout range that deletes accounts with no activity.
  • Master list of all variables so we dont have to search through lines of code.

These are all the hacks I have done on my site with the exception of the Mulitpage articles, but I have been thinking about how to do it.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by offsuit.com: This is an old thread, and my question is random...but...

Then why did you not start a new thread? Your question has nothing at all to do with this thread Sad

Blaine, if you read this - Feature Request: Ability to split threads ...

Quote by offsuit.com: HOW DO YOU UPGRADE?

Start with the upgrading instructions.

Quote by offsuit.com: Should I keep a list of every file I have changed? How do I know if the new release updates that file? How do I mere my changes? Etc..?

Modifying Geeklog's core files will always make it harder for you to upgrade. So you should take notes and clearly mark your modifications in the code.

New releases come with a list of the changed files.

bye, Dirk

RickW

Forum User
Quote by Dirk:
Quote by offsuit.com: This is an old thread, and my question is random...but...

Then why did you not start a new thread? Your question has nothing at all to do with this thread Sad

Blaine, if you read this - Feature Request: Ability to split threads ...

Why not just ban him. Mr. Green

Ability to move posts would be cool though... but it might be just as easy to delete the post and flog him.
www.antisource.com

A.

Anonymous
my wishes in xmas i belive they are realized:

We have a good news newspaper with usualy 10 articles and some events a day and we need a some things for user frendly geklog.

. integrated html area for article, static pages and calendar, with image resizer, because autors sotimes ar older people and they can not working with html editors. then our editiors have a lot of work that edit each post in html.
. beter statistic or admins self seting how many best aritcle like to see, 10 is absolutly to smal for real work vwith newspaper, we have a webalizer also bau aneway.
. simple admins admission to words that users tayping in searc or advance search, (i think now i somwere in log file and i dont now where?) because then we can prepare a beter and more article wich people interest'
now we gues? and i belive for many of gek admins that solution will be a rali good.
. statistic for calenadar and event like ve have for each articles and for static pages, now we can not see hom many popel look for some event and that is problem for some education organization because thex dont know is the program are interest for users or not?
. changing time in block What's New, i like to have more ours avelible of new storis and other things.

I write that like a user, not like a programer.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by A.: . changing time in block What's New, i like to have more ours avelible of new storis and other things.

from config.php:
Text Formatted Code
// Following times are in seconds
$_CONF['newstoriesinterval']  =   86400; // = 24 hours
$_CONF['newcommentsinterval'] =  172800; // = 48 hours
$_CONF['newlinksinterval']    = 1209600; // = 14 days

bye, Dirk

A.

Anonymous
thk

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:41 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content