Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 10:21 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Difference between Story and Forum post?

stunningman

Forum User
OK- I am looking into starting a website, but I'm having a hard time distinguishing between the function of a story (that allows comment-type discussion) and a post in the forum. (that allows replies)

Also- is there any sort of member list function to GL? Can admin manage member accounts, etc?

Thanks!

Blaine

Forum User
Good question and it can really depend on the site function and purpose. Here are a few ideas on how I see the different uses.

We added the forum on this site for example nearly a year ago and had several thousand stories at tha time. There were several reasons we converted 80% of the stories to the forum and kept others.

New stories require moderation - Admin with StoryEditor rights needs to review and approve new stories. The forum allows users to post new topics. This dramatically increased the number of new posts/questions and member feedback - while reducing the admin requirement.

Stories are best for important site content but not so good if you have 10 new stories everyday - you can easily loose track when it falls of the main page.

We use stories for important new items that we want to communicate. Stories are often used to maintain the key site content and the forum for the community.

If you have a community site, the forum may be best but the forum also has a convert or migrate feature to move a story or list of stories to a forum - even it is still in the un-approved state.

Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by stunningman: Also- is there any sort of member list function to GL? Can admin manage member accounts, etc?

The Admin has a list of the members, and if you do a search, you'll find the member list I once wrote ...

Btw, why not hop over to our demo site and try it all out yourself?

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:21 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content