Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, May 03 2024 @ 09:03 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

links and topics

Euan

Forum User
I just had a thought.... topics and links. I've added some fields to the glinks plugin database so that in the near future I can try messing around with associating links and categories with topics, so that you can show links in a centerblock or sideblock whenever you show a particular topic. Would anyone fine this useful? I'm not sure myself, but it would be easy to do and someone might want it I guess...

Cheers,

Euan.
-- Heather Engineering
-- No job too small

Blaine

Forum User
Euan,

I agree and think there is a need for a plugin API that could be called to parse any content being posted to look for custom plugin tags. This could then be added to stories, comments, forum posting and other plugins.

The [tag] would be then be a interpeted by the desired plugin and replaced with the formatted HTML.

I recently developed a CMS plugin that integrated with a Document Mgmt Plugin where you could just enter myfile and when the content on that page was being saved, it would scan and replace the [tag] with a link to the file (id#1) with a the name "myfile". So the resulting content for that page would have the resulting link formatted.

It would be possible to then have tags like:
related topic
[glink: 4 mysite]
[story sid# related story]

Format would be [plugin: uniqueID name for link]

The Story SID is a bit long for easy use so there may need to be a new field in that table added. Most other plugins have a ID field.

Components (like plugins or stories) could even show the [tag] that needs to be used to link to it. I think it's a good way of easily integrating components.

As I noted, I have this working now between two plugins and will be talking to Dirk about extending the Plugin API.

Would this address your need as well?
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

Euan

Forum User
Hi Blaine,

Yes, that would be a great idea. A little more than I had in mind, but yes, that sounds very reasonable. This would be a little like the static page hack I posted some time ago that allows you to do a similar thing:

[SP: spid]

which would create a link to that static page. Someone else enhanced it a little more if I remember.

One of the principles I believe in is that all plugins and the central Geeklog should be able to talk to each other and make information available/use each others' information as much as possible. This would be a step in the right direction, so more than welcome.

On that line, if anyone has any hooks etc that they want implemented in the Glinks plugin, so that it can return data to/accept data from other plugins, then let me know.

Cheers,

Euan.
-- Heather Engineering
-- No job too small

beewee

Forum User
Quote by euan: I just had a thought.... topics and links. I've added some fields to the glinks plugin database so that in the near future I can try messing around with associating links and categories with topics, so that you can show links in a centerblock or sideblock whenever you show a particular topic. Would anyone fine this useful? I'm not sure myself, but it would be easy to do and someone might want it I guess...

Euan, did this ever get any further? One my friends wants to set up a link portal, with portal blocks with RSS feeds in the center, so this option would be just what we need. BTW I'm using Glinks since a while on another portal and I love it, great work.
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:03 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content