Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 06:46 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

GL2 Request

TheHeggy

Anonymous
I just wanted to ask if it were possible to have GL2 released with a new forum plugin....

I'm pretty torn between all the cool things GeekLog has to offer and all the cool things other forum software has to offer....

Would it be reasonable to ask for something ported from XMB, IPB or PHPBB?

ironmax

Anonymous
Quote by TheHeggy: I just wanted to ask if it were possible to have GL2 released with a new forum plugin....

I'm pretty torn between all the cool things GeekLog has to offer and all the cool things other forum software has to offer....

Would it be reasonable to ask for something ported from XMB, IPB or PHPBB?

Anything is possible. What is wrong with the current forum and how do you think it could be improved? Personally I like all the features that have been put into to it so far and as for the customization of the look and feel of the plugin, well, that can be changed also with the CSS file. I think Blaine did a fantastic job in his version of this plugin and I beleave that he's still coming up with more ideas as to his next release. If there is an idea that you want him to know about or a problem that he needs to address, then by all means, let him know.

Mike

geeklog-fan

Anonymous
there is nothing wrong with the current forum, but it would still be nice if you could use the original phpbb forum with geeklog..

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
Geeklog 2 will be using Auth_Enterprise. As such, you could very easily extend that basic authentication code to have phpBB authenticate to Geeklog 2 or vice-versa.
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

geeklog-fan

Anonymous
wow, would be great.. if you say 'easy', do you really mean 'easy'? how easy is it? how will that be done?

TheHeggy

Anonymous
I guess really all we need is a way to make GL2 compatible with PHPBB, XMB, and IPB.

Rewriting an entire port of each forum would be a little too much to ask...

Maybe something in the admin section could have a way to convert the database on command? Then all you'd have to do is set up the forum to use that database.

Doesn't make TOO much sense, I know, but I think you get the general idea.

geeklog-fan

Anonymous
hmm.. Tony.. doesn't that give any problems when you update Geeklog OR phpbb? I was wondering if the the new geeklog authentication has something to do with database conversions to make the two compatible...

It wouldn't make much difference in that case

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
Easy meaning we provide a clean API that would allow you, with some understanding of PHP and programming, to extend it to suit your needs.
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:46 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content