Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, May 02 2024 @ 01:57 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

uploading to install? what folders andd ...

trist

Forum User
sad
hey i yust downloaded this script and do i need to upload everything or do i need to upload some folders but not all of them?

Could someone plz help me! i realy want to use this but i cant seem to find out what to upload...

The folders that are in the thing i downloaden are: backups, docs, language, logs, plugins, public_html, sql, system

I also got 4 files: config, emailgeeklogstories, INSTALL, readme.htm

Could anybody help me with this?? I have aim and msn if you want to help me out! would be great...!!

My AIM: flaioandy
My MSN: trist@seek-design.com

Plz help this newbie out!....

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by trist: do i need to upload everything

Yes.

Try reading the installation instructions and come back if you have any specific questions.

bye, Dirk

trist

Anonymous
So i need to u^pload all those follders? but the things in public htm, must they stay in that subfolder? the patch must be: http://yourgeeklogsite/admin/install/install.php. thats says the guide. but if i would upload its it woulb be: http://yourgeeklogsite//public_htm/admin/install/install.php. is that good or wrong? or do i need to upload only the folder with those files?

trist

Forum User
confused
i wrote that! i 4got to login srry

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by trist: but the things in public htm, must they stay in that subfolder?

As the installation instructions try to explain, Geeklog consists of two sets of files: Those that are visible to the world (i.e. the ones in the public_html) and those that aren't (all the others).

On your webserver, you should have a directory into which you'd copy all the files that make up your homepage. So, for example, for a file "me.html" to be accessible as http://www.example.com/me.html, you would have to copy the file into that special directory. This directory is called the document root (or web root) and is often named "public_html" (or "www" or something similar). So that's why Geeklog comes with a public_html directory.

If your document root directory is not called public_html, then simply copy the files from public_html into that directory and all the other files just outside of it, so that you have the same directory layout as in the tarball. Then change the one occurence of "public_html" in config.php to the name of your web root directory.

Hope that makes it clearer.

And if anyone has any ideas as how to make this section of the installation instructions any clearer, please forward me your suggestions ...

bye, Dirk

destr0yr

Forum User
Quote by Dirk:And if anyone has any ideas as how to make this section of the installation instructions any clearer, please forward me your suggestions ...
bye, Dirk

An installer. XOOPS, e107, gallery, phpbb, *nukes all have them. GL should too. It may kill a lot of the ambiguity related to (sarcasm) webroot, under webroot, left of webroot, bottom of webroot, beside webroot, etc (/sarcasm) in any and all documentation.

Also another call to geeklog admins that like to think they know what they're doing to update the wiki.
-- destr0yr
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -- Douglas Adams

mr_vindictive

Anonymous
LOL! It's TRIST! OMG! Anyways... I have gotten mine up and running and so forth... here is the linky to it.

Like trist, my question is something similiar. But, I had uploaded all the non-public_html files outside of that public_html folder....and all the rest in a folder called hell Because all of my main site files are right inside of the public_html/ folder like this:

public_html/index.htm and rest of main site files and so forth. I did this so I can have each thing on my server having it's own place...so how can I place them non_public_html files and folders then without them being in the public_html folder and such?

But I was having problems through the installation part of it...and I just uploaded all the damn folders and stuff into the hell folder, because it was asking for them and they weren't there. So my thought was maybe I had the paths screwy in the config.php file or something. Anyways...any thoughts or suggestions? Here below is what I have now:
/home/twisteds/public_html/hell/everything (all folders)

twisted

UPDATE: Forget it! I'm deleting it for now. I'm going for something a little easier to install and such. Atleast I had it up on my server though. I might put it up again then....never know.. ta ta

Blaine

Forum User
Have a look at this page I added to the Wiki Doc project and see if that image helps you
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

keystone430

Forum User
Chatty
Blaine that is very impressive and should eliminate a lot of the questions with installs.

Trist

Anonymous
happy
I got it thx for the help everybody

trenchteam

Forum User
Regular Poster
nice Dirk. Wish I had that when i first tried to install GL.

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:57 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content