Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 06:23 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Changing default for front page and restricting posting

Deetz

Anonymous
I just set up my GeekLog.
I went through all the documentation and I couldn't figure out how to remove the default where all stories submitted by users go to the front page.

For example, whenever anyone posts a story in any of the categories a copy of it posts to the front page, I don't want it to post there.

Also, I was wondering if there is a way to restrict certain users from posting to certain categories. I couldn't find that in any of the documentation. Thanks in advance.

Deetz.

r_f_o_t

Forum User
Quote by Deetz: I just set up my GeekLog.
I went through all the documentation and I couldn't figure out how to remove the default where all stories submitted by users go to the front page.

For example, whenever anyone posts a story in any of the categories a copy of it posts to the front page, I don't want it to post there.

Try this thread.

Also, I was wondering if there is a way to restrict certain users from posting to certain categories. I couldn't find that in any of the documentation. Thanks in advance.

Do a search on "permissions".

HTH,

CHuck
Too many hands on my time.

Deetz

Anonymous
I tried that thread for the removing of the front page. It works on the admin site, but I actually don't mind that it defaults for the admin submission form.

My problem is that it defaults to that for every user. Non-admin's don't ahve the option to not submit to the front page. Where can I add code or change a variable so it only shows in the topic page for non-admins?

Euan

Forum User
I think that you have a slight misunderstanding of the "Home" topic here. It isn't really a topic, it's a collection of all articles that have been posted on the site. What you can do is

1) disable the link to "home" in the topics block in config.php
2) edit your index.php to show a default topic of your choice

That way, whenever a user sees the top page, they will see only the topic you choose as default, or the topic they select from the topic menu.

Would that solve your problem? If it would and you need help with editing the index.php, let me know.

Cheers,

Euan
-- Heather Engineering
-- No job too small

Deetz

Anonymous
I think that would solve my problem. I mean as long as I can easily control what article/articles are shown on the front page, that's pretty much exactly what I want.

Like I just need it to be that I'm the only person who is allowed to post or add stuff to the main (Home) page.

What exaclty would I need to edit the index.php file?
Thanks again.

Also I couldn't find a way to restrict users from seeing/accessing/submitting to certain topics.

Deetz

Anonymous
Actually, I just re-read your post. I know that the "Home" topic really isn't a topic. When normal users post, their post gets saved to the topic they choose. But it also is shown the on front page (the "Home" page). In the admin view, there's the option so it's not displayed on the front page.

I'm just trying to find a way so that when normal users post a topic it doesn't also default to show on the front page.

Deetz

Anonymous
What actually ended up working was I just copied the html for the articles I want on the front page and just made them into a static page. It's a crude way of doing what I wanted. But heck it worked.

Euan

Forum User
Sorry for the late reply.

What you need to edit in index.php: the crude way is to just add this at the top of the page after in include statement:

Text Formatted Code

if (empty($topic)) {
    $topic = "default_topic_name_here);
}

Slightly (only slightly) more elegant would be to have the default set from a config variable in config.php - that way you could edit more easily.

This might mess up settings with centreblocks - not sure.

For viewing rights, go to the topic manager in the control panel and set the access rights there.

Cheers,

Euan.
-- Heather Engineering
-- No job too small

samstone

Forum User
I could be wrong, but I think what Deetz is looking for is to make the "Show only in topic" as default.

I did a quick look at admin/story.php and I think the code that needs to be changed has to do with {fontpage_options}.

Sam

Deetz

Anonymous
Sam is right, I do'nt need to set a default topic, I need to set the front page options I think. I'll try that though, thanks. Better late than never. Any other suggestions would be great.

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:23 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content