Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, May 29 2024 @ 09:28 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Upgrade Question?

ola_one

Forum User
My system has been running for more than six months now. I also am running an old version of geeklog 1.3.8sr3 or so, when I looked at the upgrade instruction, it looks exactly like a fresh install except for the UPGRADE DATABASE.

My problem is that I have plugins and Gallery installed on this system. I am thinking that if I untar the 1.3.9sr1, it will overwrite all my old install and I will lose Gallery and the rest of my add-ons, am I correct in thinking this?

I do not want to lose all my picture uploads and plugins, Is there another way to upgrade? Or am I wrong in my assumptions?

Thanks

Ola

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by ola_one: when I looked at the upgrade instruction, it looks exactly like a fresh install except for the UPGRADE DATABASE.

Which is exactly what it says in the upgrade instructions: "Upgrading is no different than a fresh installation except your database already exists and needs to be upgraded."

Quote by ola_one: My problem is that I have plugins and Gallery installed on this system. I am thinking that if I untar the 1.3.9sr1, it will overwrite all my old install and I will lose Gallery and the rest of my add-ons, am I correct in thinking this?

Obviously, it would only overwrite files that also exist in the tarball, leaving any additional files untouched.

We recommend removing the old Geeklog files to make sure you don't end up with a mixture of old and new files.

But you can leave all files that belong to a plugin or some other add-on as (and where) they are, as they are usually not affected by the upgrade.

bye, Dirk

John Van Vliet

Anonymous
with upgrading i first MAKE A BACKUP COPY of the full install dir . so that i can go back and fourth between the two .Just in case something was over written

JohnVanVliet

Forum User
that was me

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:28 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content