Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 09:10 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

comments also for unregistered users

mikulass

Anonymous
Hello,

I am totally new to Geeklog, but I love it. However I have one major question. Is it possible that also unregistered users could post comments under articles. This is a major thing for me. Can I fix it somehow?

Thanks

Mikulass

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
That's an option in your config.php:

$_CONF['commentsloginrequired'] = 0;

(0 = allowed for anonymous users, 1 = registered users only).

Anonymous comments are actually allowed per default, we only had to disable it here on geeklog.net because of the increasing amount of comment spam ...

bye, Dirk

mikulass

Anonymous
Thanks a lot. I am glad that someone was willing to help me.

BBall

Anonymous
Comment spam is hitting many Geeklog sites, sites that have anonymous comments turned off.

Dirk, have you looked into any of these cases?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by BBall: Comment spam is hitting many Geeklog sites, sites that have anonymous comments turned off.

Dirk, have you looked into any of these cases?

Sure, that has already been discussed here and on the mailing list.

Spam will continue to be a problem as long as people keep buying from spammers or visit their websites or do whatever else they try to accomplish with their spamming. It's a social problem and any attempts at a technical solution will only lead to an arms race.

Which doesn't mean that we're giving up just yet ...

bye, Dirk

Ball

Anonymous
Yes, but when bots are anonymously spamming the comments area even though anonymous comments have been turned OFF, it leads one to believe that there could also be a software issue.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Ball: Yes, but when bots are anonymously spamming the comments area even though anonymous comments have been turned OFF, it leads one to believe that there could also be a software issue.

Sorry, I misunderstood you there.

Yes, there was a bug that let you post comments even when anonymous comment posting was not allowed. That has been fixed in Geeklog 1.3.8-1sr3, though.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:10 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content