Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, April 24 2024 @ 01:11 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

File Type issue in File Mgmt

diesel

Forum User
Junior
caffeinated
I have a general question/problem with my file management plugin. I am currently running GL 1.3.8-1sr4 and filemgmt version 1.2.
The problem I am having is trying to upload a power point presentation (file type .ppt). It will not allow it and I get a "Page cannot be displayed". When I use the same information, but attach a more familiar file type (.doc), it works just fine. So, does file management not support uploads of that file type? If not, can I tweak it so it will allow .ppt? Or is there something I am just doing wrong. Any help is appreciated.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Could it be a size problem? There's usually a (server-side) restriction in the max. size for an upload (typically 2-8 MCool.

bye, Dirk

diesel

Forum User
Junior
I checked php.ini and the max size for an upload was 2M, but the power point presentation is only ~750k. Don't think that is the issue, but for the heck of it, I cranked the max size up to 8M, but to no avail.

Turias

Forum User
I'm not sure if it's a php or a filemgmt issue, but one work-around would be to zip the file before uploading it.

diesel

Forum User
Junior
Well, this work-around will suffice for now. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what the problem could be? I really do not want to have to zip up every power point that needs to be posted.

Blaine

Forum User
Is the file actually getting uploaded and located in the file repository directory?
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

diesel

Forum User
Junior
No. There is no file that resembles the one I tried uploading in the filemgmt_data directory, which is the name of my repository.

Blaine

Forum User
The plugin should not care what kind of file it is uploading. I have had no problems uploading ppt, autocad, audio, video, pdf or any other format file.

Here is a sample powerpoint file here
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

diesel

Forum User
Junior
OK. It definately is not an issue with GL or php. It is just not able to upload that one ppt file. Thanks for all that looked into this.

lifesize_ben

Forum User
Hey I know this is an old post, but I found it because I have a very similar problem with my site. For some reason, I am not able to upload MP3 files. It gave me the "duplicate file or check permissions" message, and I assumed it had to do with permissions. But I realized that it always gave me the error when I tried to upload the MP3, so I changed the file extension to .txt, and it uploaded it without any problems. And it's consistent behavior - no MP3s. So for now I know how to work around it, but eventually I want to set my site up so less experienced users can upload these MP3s. Anyone know what might be causing such a strange error?

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:11 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content