Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, May 07 2024 @ 05:56 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Static Page Security Question

cybersnac

Anonymous
I'm currently setting up an image gallery on my website using static pages. I don't want to use any of the gallery programs out there.

The setup is as such. I have a link at the top of my site to take people to the gallery page, a static page, which is basically a Table of Contents that has hyperlinks to the individual galleries that are also static pages.

I want to allow anyone to view all of the galleries except one, which is my family gallery. What I've done is create a custom group named family and gave that group the same file permission as my file management group just for security purposes. I figured by assigning that group only to the family gallery static page, it would accomplish what I want.

The problem is the family static page seems to be inheriting it's security from the Table of Contents static page and anyone can still view it even though I've got the group permissions set on it.

Can anyone give me advice on how to secure this properly. I must be doing something wrong.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Assigning the page(s) to a group is only part of the solution. You will also have to remove the check from the "Anonymous" and "Members" checkboxes.

So, if "Anonymous" is checked, anonymous users will be able to see the page. Uncheck it to hide it from them.

Same for "Members" (i.e. logged-in users).

The group that owns the page only comes into play with the "Group" checkboxes.

And to actually edit a page (that's what the 'E' checkboxes are for), a user also needs the "staticpages.edit" permission. So even with the E checkbox checked, your family members won't be able to edit that page, unless you also assign them to the "Static Page Admin" group.

bye, Dirk

cybersnac

Anonymous
Thanks very much Dirk for helping me out. I really did know that but as usual, I didn't think it through long enough.

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:56 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content