Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 07:29 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Images by url

ASP

Forum User
Hi!

Im new to Geeklog, i am trying out your portal, i have run into a small problem, what has happened is my ip has changed, i have a cable connection and sometimes my ip will get changed, i also have a domain name www.ww1sims.com ,
when my ip got changed of coarse my domain name wont resolve the new ip untill i reset it at register.com, then it takes 2 days or so to start resolving the name to the new ip, while i wait for the name to take to the new ip number my geeklog site isnt grabbing the images and i cant do much as its always looking for the name which isnt resolving yet every time i click a button, is there something that can be done to avoid this? here is the url here

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
Sorry, I don't think there is a good way to do this. I think you are at the mercy of DNS. Note that my experience is that most my DNS changes propogate within 24hrs. Note that obviously this may be different for others using other DNS servers. Sorry, which I had a better answer.
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
So what you're saying is that you're running the site on your PC who's IP changes from time to time. Ideally, you want to use the domain you own, which should point to your PC?

I'd suggest using a service like dyndns.org. They will give you a subdomain like something.dyndns.org which you can then enter as the CNAME in your (real) domain's DNS server.

The difference is that DynDNS updates their databases much faster than a "real" DNS. You can get a DynDNS client that updates your IP whenever it changes (many routers have such a client built in).

There are a lot of similar (free) services - DynDNS is just the one I happen to be using for a similar purpose for quite some time now.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:29 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content