Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 09:59 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Problems with MySQL 3 to 4 upgrade

das

Forum User
I have been running several instances of Geeklog 1.3.8-1sr3 under MySQL 3.23.53 (Mac OS X Server 10.2.8). Today, I tried to upgrade to Mac OS X Server 10.3.2, which comes with MySQL 4.0.16, leaving /var/mysql and its contents intact. None of the geeklog sites worked anymore; the symptoms ranged from:

- forum post numbers and other stats being huge negative numbers
- clicking on "read more" for any article resulted in just staying on the home page
- no forum functions worked

The only errors logged were when a forum was attempted to be accessed, and they were something like this:

Sat Jan 3 16:11:25 2004 - 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1. SQL in question: SELECT forum FROM gl_forum_topic WHERE id=

Since the "in place" upgrade didn't seem to work, the next thing I tried was dumping all the mysql databases using mysqldump -A under MySQL 3.x, and then reloading them all in from scratch into a completely clean config under MySQL 4.x. That also didn't work. Other MySQL-based applications, like invisionboard, seemed to work fine through the upgrade. For now, I've just fallen back to MySQL 3.23.53, but that means I have to stay on Mac OS X Server 10.2.8, which is not desirable at all.

So, what do I have to do with geeklog to successfully upgrade to MySQL 4.0.16? What is the next step?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
All I can say is that I can import the geeklog.net database backups (MySQL 3.23.58) just fine locally, running MacOS X 10.3.2 (consumer, not server) and MySQL 4.0.17. No problems whatsoever ...

bye, Dirk

das

Forum User
Actually, I found out what the problem ended up being: not only did the Mac OS X Server 10.2.8 -> 10.3.2 upgrade take me from MySQL 3.x to 4.x, it upgraded php to 4.2 - with register_globals off by default. Once I turned register_globals on again, everything worked as expected!

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:59 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content