Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 05:29 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Direct Importing Of Data into MySQL

uits

Anonymous
Hello, I've been experimenting with direct import of data in the events calendar through the tables. Also, I'll need to directly import into the stories. So far I've gotten the calendar to work well with the data dump, but it would be nice to know that I'm not missing something important. Are there special considerations when importing data like this?
On my end I'm primarily concerned with direct modification of all the tables, as I'll need to set up scripts that do so automatically.
Thanks for your feedback,
John

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by uits: Are there special considerations when importing data like this?

Importing Events and stories that way should be okay. I'd suggest that you stick with Geeklog's id schema, though (i.e. date+time+up to 3 random digits), as some software may rely on this.

Links can also be imported that way, but here you should really use the same id layout as Geeklog (the link id is sometimes used instead of the date field, e.g. for the What's New block).

Don't try to import user or group data unless you know what you're doing. The user / groups / permissions table are all somewhat connected and you may end up with unusable accounts or even permission / security problems.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:29 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content