Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 18 2024 @ 08:55 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

site is getting too big, NO more duplicated files/folders!!!

fimi

Forum User
When i first got geeklog i downloaded it very fast and it was good. now that its getting too big its really getting like PHPNuke!

I noticed that there are alot of folder images that are repeated which take time to upload and download where there can only be one to represent that folder....getting what im talking about? the idea is the same as when you make a function and reuse it over and over without writing the code again.

You know how you have to put the templates folder in each of your themes!, that not good...there should be a better way of doing that...

My Idea:
instead of copying it in each theme's folder we can have a new folder called plugin_templates in the layout folder.

variables will be used in the paths...
ex: for the forums, we would have something like this:

/layout/plugin_templates/[PLUGIN NAME]/
/layout/[TEMPLATE NAME]/

the idea is that every plugin template would require the files from one same folder instead of in each's theme template dir

anyone want to help me out explain this more?

take care,
fimi

Turias

Forum User
I agree that it would be nice to have a location for default .thtml files. My site uses three themes, and, for the most part, all of the .thtml files are identical. It would be nice if Geeklog was able to first look in the specific theme folder for the .thtml file, and, if it doesn't exist, to look in the default location.

drshakagee

Forum User
Some people like to customize plugins for each theme. I know I do. I would hate to lose that functionality.
Yes I am mental.

Turias

Forum User
But you wouldn't lose that functionality with my suggestion.

Blaine

Forum User
Quote by fimi: When i first got geeklog i downloaded it very fast and it was good. now that its getting too big its really getting like PHPNuke!

Are you referring to the size of the archive to download or are you thinking that all these files are slowing down your site?

If you feel there are too many template files - then remove them on your site and just have one theme Wink
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

fimi

Forum User
see the thing is that having more than one theme is better because everyone is different. and haveing only one theme is not good.

Yes, im referring how slow the site gets...and most of the time when installing a plugin, you've gotta copy the temp files on the theme's folder.

NOTE: I don't mean to just pick on a plugin but i just took an example.

bye,
fimi

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:55 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content