Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, August 31 2024 @ 11:02 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Was it something I said?

jack Krugman

Anonymous
I'm having a hard time getting answers to questions I am submitting to help me convert to a Geeklog site.

Jack

Turias

Forum User
Do you want to link to the forum topics that no one is responding to?

jack Krugman

Anonymous
Thanks for getting back to me. I am not a programmer and I need some help. I am manually adding my links to geeklog and I don't know if it will hold them all. After the links I have to do the same with the calendars. My site has about 4500 links and I average about 20 eventws a day.
This is the post that is not getting any reply's: http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=1&showtopic=26451

jack Krugman

Anonymous
If anyone will take a look at what I am trying to do, My site is at:
http://www.iantiquesguide.com/
My Geeklog site that I am trying to convert to is at:http://antiques2.iantiquesguide.com/
I also had a forum and classifieds that I have taken down untill the move is complete and I can set them up on Geeklog or replace them.

Jack

Turias

Forum User
I thought I posted this question yesterday but I can't find it. I am switching over to geeklog from a site which is a mess because the interfaces of the scripts and my html pages are all different. Can anyone tell me the best way to link to my php and pearl scripts while I slowly find a way to transfer the data into Geeklog?. I am currently using HotLinks, PhpBB, and Net classifieds. If you know of a data transfer workaround for any of these I would appreciate the help. The biggest job will be moving 4500 links to the links section.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Jack K

Hmm... I don't think there is an easy "do this" answer, especially since you aren't a programmer. I also have no experience with HotLinks, PhpBB, or NetClassifieds, so take that into consideration. I'm also not sure what you mean by linking to your perl and php scripts. What kind of scripts are you linking to?

It would be relatively simple to change the items in the GeekLog menubar to link to other places (change the "forum" link to link to your current forum, change the "link" link to point to your current links page, etc). You can do this in the header.thtml file in your layout/your_theme folder. This way you can link to your current pages as you transfer things over to GeekLog.

As for transferring the data, that will not be easy, unless someone out there has already written some scripts to do this (try checking Google). I assume that all of your current systems use databases to hold their links/forum posts/etc. Thus, you could write a php script that goes through these databases and converts and imports all of the data into the GeekLog databases. This isn't a simple script to write, though, and since you aren't a programmer, I don't know what to tell you. You could either add them all, one at a time by hand, or find someone who is willing to spend a few hours writing scripts to transfer your data. You may find scripts you can use by searching Google, though.

As for your concerns as to whether or not GL can hold all of your links and events, it can. The more items in your database, the slower your site will go, so it really depends on your server speed, site load, and database size. If your current content management systems can handle it, though, I bet GeekLog can, too.

jack Krugman

Anonymous
Thank you very much for your help. I am not going to use my old programs. I am adding the links to the GL links program. I am thinking that I should keep my index page as the home page because it is ranked pretty well by the search engines. Is it possable to modify my home page to accomodate GL features?

Turias

Anonymous
Well, your main site is an index.html, and Geeklog uses php, so, no, you can't just make your new site have the exact same URL as your old. But, I don't really think it will matter that much. The search engines should pick it uu, right away, anyway.

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:02 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content