Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, May 02 2024 @ 12:09 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Static page for anonymous users

grizzlyjohnson

Forum User
I\'d like to make a static page that only anonymous users get, and once you\'re logged on, you don\'t see it. Think of this welcome page as sort of a sales pitch to join up which registered users no longer need. So far I\'ve been able to put a static page in the center block for anonymous users that is not visible to logged on users (except admins, which is troublesome) but I\'m thinking there might be a more elegant solution. Maybe the solution is to just go to a standard PHP page that detects the Geeklog cookie and redirects users to geeklog if they have the cookie, but it would be kind of cheesy to do that and not give cookie-less registered users the ability to log on from that page. Thanks for any guidance! Griz

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by grizzlyjohnson: So far I\'ve been able to put a static page in the center block for anonymous users that is not visible to logged on users (except admins, which is troublesome) but I\'m thinking there might be a more elegant solution.
Actually, that is the most elegant solution I can think of. Members of the Root group will always see the page since, per definition, a Root user has access to everything. It should be possible to hide it for other (non-Root) Admins by setting the permissions / group accordingly. bye, Dirk

exaurdon

Forum User
Regular Poster
So far I\'ve been able to put a static page in the center block for anonymous users that is not visible to logged on users (except admins, which is troublesome) but I\'m thinking there might be a more elegant solution.
To the best of my knowledge, you are using the correct procedure. I think the minor inconveniece of seeing the page when logged in as root is minor compared to using an php/html redirect page. The solution you are using is ideal as it utilizes geeklog\'s permissions system. If you are really concerned with seeing the page as a root user, you can probably create a seperate admin account without root access, but with access to everything except that page (such as place that page as belonging to root, and being in a topic of its own, and don\'t give your admin user access to that group.) Exaurdon

grizzlyjohnson

Forum User
Thanks for your replies! One problem that I neglected to mention is that I can get the static page so it only displays for anonymous users, but I can't figure out how to get the stories center block to only display for logged on users. Currently my anonymous users see both the static page and the stories block, and I can't figure out how to limit that to the static page.

Thanks!

Griz

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:09 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content