Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, May 29 2024 @ 12:33 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

French Languae and button with accents (Like Apercu [Preview])

CGI Boy

Anonymous
Hello,

I installed Geeklog and set it up to be french only.
Right away I noticed that the french language pack was full of errors.
Strings were being started with " and ended with ' and vis versa. So most of the text was completly blank with an error at the top.
After modifying the french_canada.php file until no more error occured, I was able to use geeklog in french. I realized later on that installing the locale-french package on my linux box also helped with the dates and I am glad it's french too. Would you be interested in getting the fixed version of the french_canada language file?

The real problem is wuth buttons with names that contains accents.
I tried searching the forum but I couldn't find an existing post on this issue.
Reading every post in the mailing lists was out of the question Smile
For example, the preview button in french is called "Apercu" where the letter c is with a cedil (little thingie underneat). In the language file we can see "Aper&ccecil;u" where "Preview" is in english.
When I click the preview button, my browser sends the value not as "Aperçu" but as "Aperçu". The code tries to compare both and of course it doesn't match so instead of seeing the preview, I see the list of items and I loose what I had typed. In short, the preview button doesn't work in french.
This problem isn't only on the preview button. It's the same for any button where the value is an accent. So! I see a few alternatives.

Easiest and less elegant : Change the language file to have no accents; or
Put accented letters instead of the html entities.

Hardest but best solution: Change the code and the layout files so it uses
a different method. For example, the preview button can have a
name of NAME="mode[preview]" and the code to check for
$mode["preview"]. For example, I changed the line 983 of the file
admin/story.php from this :
} else if (($mode == $LANG24[9]) && !empty ($LANG24[9])) { // preview
to this:
} else if ($mode["preview"]) {

This last method seems to work for me, but changing all that myself would make upgrades of geeklog quite difficult. It would be simplier if geeklog would release a new version with that changed. I dunno if that's even remotly possible! you guys are probably working on a zillion of other things to be concerned by this guy's problem with french that can be easilly fixed by removing accents Smile

So, I wanted to post this message to get other's people's thoughts on the subject. I am sure other languages are affected by this. I tried it with Opera 7.20B7 for Linux, Opera 7.0 for windows, Netscape 6.2 for windows and IE 6.0. They all had the same problem.

Let me know what you think of my possible solution for this and if it would be ridiculous for me to think that a change like that could be applied to the application.

Thanks.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Actually, the simple solution is to use the French special characters directly, not their HTML entities. The same problem exists in German and using the "raw" characters works just fine.

I agree that Geeklog shouldn't really be using localised strings in the URL (or for POSTs), but that's the way it is currently ...

bye, Dirk

P.S. And yes, please send in the corrected french language file (simply upload it as a .zip or .tar.gz here on the site). Thanks.

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:33 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content