Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 03:20 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Register Globals HELP!!!

harbourj

Forum User
confused
I set up Geeklog on a local server at work and loved it! I absolutely want to use it for a section of my current site but the server\'s register_globals is set to off for security reasons. Is there any way around this? Let me say again how much I want to use GL and moving to another host is not an option. Thanks.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Your only chance is that they let you override the register_globals setting with a .htaccess file in your webspace. Try creating such a file with this line in it:
Text Formatted Code
php_flag register_globals on
bye, Dirk

Al

Anonymous
But turning \"register_globals\" to ON can be a serious security risk for some servers. Even the PHP people are now shipping the product with the default OFF. I really want to use GL but we won\'t take any risks we don\'t have to. I hope you can fix this soon. I guess it\'s back to phpNuke... which is OK, but over-kill for our needs. Al

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Al: But turning \"register_globals\" to ON can be a serious security risk for some servers.
Oh please, not that discussion again Rolling Eyes See here and here for previous coverage.
Quote by Al:I guess it\'s back to phpNuke...
*cough* You\'re talking about security and going back to Nuke in the same sentence? bye, Dirk

Al

Anonymous
Quote by Dirk:
Quote by Al: But turning \"register_globals\" to ON can be a serious security risk for some servers.
Oh please, not that discussion again Rolling Eyes See here and here for previous coverage.
Quote by Al:I guess it\'s back to phpNuke...
*cough* You\'re talking about security and going back to Nuke in the same sentence? bye, Dirk

Limynali

Forum User
Chatty
I had been in the same situation where I absolutely could not use global variables. I made a little hack which allowed me to still use geeklog. I hope that can help you.
Got root?

al

Anonymous
Well, I found something very interesting. It seems that my ISP (pair.com) still uses globals=0n. I was surprised. They are going to change this very soon. On our application we need globals OFF for security purposes (long story, don\'t ask.) What we found out we can do is put all of our code in it\'s own directory with it\'s own .htaccess file setting the globals=0ff. We will put GL in the top-level (web root) directory and leave the globals on. We would not care if someone hacked GL. It\'s our own applicaiton that we are concerned with. So this weekend we\'ll give GL a try. It looks a lot easier and less bloated than Nuke. I hope it is as fast (Nuke is way, way, way faster than phpWebSite... a CMS I really like, but phpWS is very slow!) Frown Al

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:20 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content