Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 05:30 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Highlighting new comments

Anonymous

Anonymous
I'm sorry if there already exists something like this, but I swear I've checked everything around! Smile

So the question is: Is there anything out there to make geeklog highlight new comments? What I mean is having little [New] tabs in new comments, so you can easily notice what's been lately posted and not read by yourself yet. As of now, my only solution to the problem has been setting the Flat Mode and ordering by Newest/latest, so I could go straight to the latest contributions. The pity is that, with that approach, you lose the nested layout (my preferred, and many of you will agree).

I'm aware some sites have this feature. I know at least Scoop and Drupal to do this, and you must believe me it's a total pleasure. Of course you have to be registered to access this feature, as otherwise the site wouldn't be able to know what's new for you!

Does something like this exist already? Would this be feasible? Would someone do it? (I tell you I know my limitations 0Smile

Anonymous

Anonymous
Hi. First of all, sorry for my poor English. I hope I'll make me understand ... I totally agree with the petition. I miss a pair of features in geeklog, such as: - [NEW] tags in the new comments. - A tag like "1/12" in the story, near the date, author, and so on, meaning that there are 12 comments, 1 of them new since the last time we read the story. - A way to mark stories as "Interesting" so that they appear in a box. Under Scoop, I can mark as "+ Interesting" the stories I prefer, and I have all my "marked as interesting" stories in a box called "More interesting", in this format: - Blablabla Story (11/20 comments) - About blablabla (1/2 comments) (1/2 = there are 2 comments, 1 new since last time I read the story). I imagine this needs a lot of work with cookies, but I find those 3 features really interesting, because is the easiest way to find the new comments easily in the stories you are reading (and you prefer over all the other stories)... Count with my vote for this feature to be implemented Smile CU!

Anonymous

Anonymous
I don't think this has to do so much with adding cookies as adding additional tables to the database. My guess is that this will not be implemented (in core geeklog) in 1.3.8 and possibly never (ask Dirk...). I know that we have already talked about implementing this in GL2, but that is a long way off. Smile -Vinny

Anonymous

Anonymous
The what's interesting /w new comment tracking might be handled by a block, but I can't think out how to allow it to track if you revisit the story without using the block itself. Anyone have any thoughts in this direction? An advantage of doing it this was would be that the dbase calls / size per call would be lower, as the block would only have to check the stories marked this way.

Anonymous

Anonymous
At the risk of being shot, I think the way Geeklog handles comments should be completely redone. Awhile ago someone had said here how he thought comments and forums were redundant. As time passed by, the more and more I've thought about this the more I think he is absolutely right. I think all CMS/weblogs, even the brand new ones, keep comments on articles, downloads, etc separate from forum posts probably because it's been the practice for so long, but my opinion now is they should not be. Many things people have asked for, including this one, are actually already in some of the feature-rich forums today. The CMS' which have integrated or built their own forums have so far kept them separate and not used the forum to power the commenting system on the rest of their site. People have different preferences on forum software. For me, I like Invision Board. For many months, I've been waiting for them to release their latest version since they were making some major changes. Within the past week or so, they released two beta versions. I just started going through the code to see how everything works and want to use it not only as my forum but to replace Geeklog's comment system. I don't know if I'll be successful in integrating the two but if I am I won't be able to redistribute their code unless the developers here worked out something with them like Xoops did.

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:30 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content