Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 08:41 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Amember

ronack

Forum User
I'm afraid that I'm not good enough in php to do this myself. However I found a membership php program that looks like it could integrate real nice with GL called Amember. Has anyone looked into this or is there someone that would want to look into doing a plugin for GL. You can download the free version (which isn't much different than the pro version) here. I have loaded it along side my GL and can do an external link but I think they would work together quite nice. http://membership.cgi-central.net/scripts/amember/download.php

rawdata

Forum User
The problem with amember is the source code is proprietary. To create an integrated plugin someone would need to modify it. Their license doesn't give permission to modify the code even for personal use, and it doesn't give permission to distribute modified versions to others. Some of their revenues come from selling plugins which integrate amember into other software: Invision Board ($40), vBulletin ($40), and ListMail ($40). I kind of doubt they would allow their free version to be integrated here and then given away for free, but you can always ask and see what they say. The other problem is when you integrate something into GPL code where it is calling routines and sharing tables it is considered part of the whole program and thus must be licensed under GPL or a GPL compatible license if it's distributed to others. I doubt amember wants their code to be GPL. To retain their more restrictive license would require approval from the copyright holders of Geeklog. So, if you want this done you'll need to get two sets of approval. If cgi-central doesn't care if their modified code becomes GPL, then you just need one -- theirs. Of course, someone could just create their own with a similar capability and not have to get anyone's permission.

ronack

Forum User
Well then, that's interesting, thanks for the info.

ronack

Forum User
Ok so what I've done is to link to a static page which seems to work.

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:41 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content