Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, May 17 2024 @ 05:57 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Deleted Links Block

Anonymous

Anonymous
Now when I try to recreate it, I don't know what to specify. Normal, PHP, Portal?? Also, what do I choose in "Group"? Last but not least, who do I give permissions to? Please help. Thanks.

rawdata

Forum User
If you're referring to the links.php file, the general public can view the info unless you set the value of either of these variables to one in config.php to limit viewing to those logged in: $_CONF['loginrequired'] = 0; $_CONF['linksloginrequired'] = 0; You can also hide the links in the what's new block by setting this to one: $_CONF['hidenewlinks'] = 0; If you're referring to something different, then it depends on what format is being used in this links block. Normal Block -- this is the setting to use when you want to show plain text or html in any block. You can also execute php with this setting, but only if the block appears on the left. Left blocks are part of the header. Right blocks are part of the footer. The only place we can execute php in the template now is in the header which includes the left blocks. The content is placed inside the Block Editor of your Control Panel. PHP Block -- this is the setting to use when you want to execute php code for a block which appears on either the right or left side. The content is placed in lib-custom.php and made into a function. The function's name must be in this format: phpblock_somename Portal Block -- this is the setting to use when you want to pull RDF/RSS feeds off another site to appear in your block Group -- this one is totally up to you. If you want to limit access or give editing capability to a specific group then select whichever one that is. If you only want Root users, then select "Root". If you want logged in visitors only, then select "Logged-in Users". If you want everyone, then select "All Users". etc Permissions -- again this is totally up to you. The owner represents whoever created the block. Most likely you want read/edit capablity for this person. Look at the Group you selected. If you want to give them read only ability check that box, and if you want to also give them edit ability check that box too. If you want logged in members to see this block, then check "Members". If not, uncheck it. If you want everyone to see this block, then check "Anonymous". If not, uncheck it.

Anonymous

Anonymous
You didn't understand... I logged in, went to "blocks", entered "links" and deleted it. Now I don't know what to specify when I recreate that block.

rawdata

Forum User
Well, you should because I took the time to explain each of those settings. This info applies to any block. If you can't be bothered to learn this, then maybe someone else will help you instead.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Listen: how am I expected to know what "links" is made of? For example, is it a PHP block? If so, what is the function? You didn't say it in your post. It's like explaining me the molecular denisty of our food, when I asked what's for lunch. In other words, yea, I understood you. But I need the specific settings for "links". Not a technical explaining of what is a "block". Thank you.

rv8

Forum User
Regular Poster
Why not download a fresh copy of GL, expand the archive and stufy what it looks like? That should tell you what you need to know without playing 20 questions here.---Kevin
Kevin Horton

jhk

Forum User
Chatty
I don't have a "links" block on either one of my sites, which basically means that you must have picked it up someplace else. It is not a default GL block. The explanation given was very thorough and useful.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Can one of you please...please...just look at the block called "Links" in his blog? It was created by default! So if you have it, look at it, and tell me the default parameters (funtion, group & permission) IF you didn't change them. Thanks.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Solved! The webmaster can erase this question. I'm sorry, guys. It was I who created a block called "links". Later, I thought the system created it. Now I know that the links show up NOT in blocks (except "what's new), but in their own page (links.php). Again, I'm Sorry.

jhk

Forum User
Chatty
No real harm done. It shows maturity to come back and apologize like this. Well done. Smile

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:57 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content