Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 08:24 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

GeekLog Development

Anonymous

Anonymous
I have two quick questions. 1) What are the differences between PHP-Blocks and Plugins? From what I understand, I can write customized applets/modules with either of them, though I suspect plugins are more powerful; but I don't know why. What can I do with one, and not the other. 2) My Block/Plugin I develop will need to maintain information in a database. Can I just create the necessary tables/fields I need; and link them to GL's tables/fields? What are the do's and dont's regarding this? I want to maximize portability to future GL upgrades, of course.

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
PHP Blocks are visual items that can appear on either side (right or left) of your GL site. Unlike portal or raw HTML blocks, PHP blocks allow you to create dynamic content for your block by tying it to a PHP function. Plugins are ways to add a feature to Geeklog. Geeklog ships with a fairly robust plugin-api that allow you to tightly integrate some new feature into geeklog. This application program interface (API), for example, lets a plugin use GL's moderation system, comment engine, search engine, etc.---The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

Blaine

Forum User
If your interested in Block or plugin developement, I suggest you review the Developer Guide here

We are interested to hear any feedback.

Blaine

Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

Anonymous

Anonymous
Thank you for pointing that document out. I had been looking for something like that. I recommend you put that document within the "Project Resources | Documentation" block of geeklog.net, and at least a reference to it in the actual distribution of GL. At least to me, those are the logical places to look for it. I'm been playing with the FileMgmt Plugin today, and am quite excited. It is very similiar to the plugin I need, and I think my modifications to it will give me a nice -- gentle introduction into Plugin development. Thanks.

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:24 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content