Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 10:12 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Really..Really..Really Slow

cdriscoll

Anonymous
I have recently upgraded to GL version 1.3.7 from 1.3.6. As of right now, the site will resolve, but takes a really long time to do so, and the majority of the time it times out. I was wondering if there was a log that would tell me what the site is trying to access that is taking it so long. I checked the logs/access.log and logs/error.log, but nothing useful is in there. I also know that it is not network traffic nor the box it is running on because I have another virtual host setup on that machine that runs just fine. Any suggestions? Or should I just retrace my steps and go back to 1.3.6?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Are you including any content from external sites? For example RDF feeds, weather information, ... bye, Dirk

cdriscoll

Anonymous
Well, I just now found the source of the problem. It is a certain php-block in my lib-custom file. I copied the base one that comes with GL 1.3.7rc1 and it fired right up. When I replaced it with my modified one (with all of my blocks from before the upgrade), it dies. Time to do some in depth investigating.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Speaking of slow, I installed MYSQL and PHP exclusivley for GEEKLOG and really haven't tweaked them at all. Is there something I can do with either package to speed things up? I am not complaining but I will take all the speed I can get.

cdriscoll

Anonymous
Is this installed on a Linux or Windows box?

Anonymous

Anonymous
Windows Box - IIS 5.0 running latest greatest PHP and MYSQL. I know MYSQL keeps giving me the message below, can I get some performance here? I had 14 users on-line the other day and it really started cramping up. Thanks.. the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend section, for example, or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld] to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf skip-innodb If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Instead of IIS, try Apache . Yes there is a windows version, and according to PC Mag as of last april, Apache 2.0 was faster on a Windows Box than IIS on a Windows Box. As fpr troubleshooting IIS. Are you on Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2000 Professional? Second, Are you trying to browse yoru own website via the ip adress or DNS name.. Have you tried using Localhost as a name? Do you have your hosts file updated to reflect your DNS settings or site settings. What other services or sites are you running? Whats your service pack? Browser, browser version. Ugh.. Okay. A lot to ask, but there could be a lot to it. Anyways, Email me the info, and I will shoot you back with some ideas Even though, linux or at least apache is a better choice (IMHO) for webservers :-) RemdotC email remdotc(AT)evilware[^dot]((com))

cl1ck

Forum User
i am also experiencing some slowness. it didn't start happening until about a month ago, and i have been running this site for about 5-7 months now. i doesn't happen on my GL1.3.5sr2 site, but i do see it alot on my GL1.3.7 site. i have also seen it happen on this site. the menu will span across the whole browser window and sit there for a full 2 minutes or more and then bring up the page. the weird part is the speed listed at the bottom of the page says the load time was 0.20-0.40 seconds consistenly. Here's my setup for the slow site: SuSE Linux 8.1 Apache 1.3.x MySQL 3.23.x The slow one is on my local lan. i have edited the hosts files of my lan computers to point to this machine's local address. I am pulling external info on both sites with the news plugin. I have tried optimizing my tables. at one time i thought it was the menu plugin, since it comes with debugging on, so i got the non-debugging function.inc from the CVS. it seem to stop for a while but now it's back. as i type this article i have another window open to this site with the original article. i changed my comment prefs and this site did the same thing my slow site is doing except it didn't last for 2 mins. the menu on the left spanned the whole window for a sec and then went back to normal. mine takes a little longer to get back to normal. if you want to see it happen on my site go to http://johabba.net any ideas?-------------- http://cl1ck.net
-----------
http://cl1ck.net

Anonymous

Anonymous
I looked at your site and what you described didn't happen to me. The speed was fine and the columns didn't stretch out. Is the "slow" site on a dedicated or shared server? On shared ones, other occupants can be the reason for periodic slowness. If this isn't the case for you, it would help if you point out other differences between the two. Alternatively, you can load the latest version with all the same blocks/plugins on the same server as the "fast" site to pinpoint if it's GL's software or something else. As for the menu temporarily getting stretched out, some browsers will do this when you don't put in column widths. Check your left column and I bet you don't have a width. A table won't display until all the contents are filled in. If there is a delay in getting the contents for the center, the browser will think you only have the left column and display it across the entire screen unless a width was previously declared. Then when the center info finally hits, the browser says "oops" and has to recalculate all the widths so everything fits. Tables with widths load faster because the browser knows ahead of time how much space to dedicate. If you make the widths too small though, the browser will be forced to recaculate and take longer to load. Same thing happens with graphics if you leave out width and height.

cl1ck

Forum User
ok...i think when i say slow i'm talking about the menu width issue. it does seem like it's waiting to fill in the table. but if that were the problem, then why wouldn't it happen every time? i'll check for widths and update. -------------- http://cl1ck.net
-----------
http://cl1ck.net

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:12 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content