Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Sunday, October 06 2024 @ 07:08 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Block problems

ScratchNSniff

Anonymous
I'm a newbie to blogs and php. I'm hoping this is possible. I'm trying to make two separate topic blocks. One will be a block that the general users and public can view. The second topic block will have completely different topics and should only be able to be seen by users of a group. So far I only have the block set to be viewed by that one group. How should I go about getting the rest of what I need?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The topic (section) block is built into Geeklog - you can have only one of those. What you could do is to create a "normal" block and just put plain HTML links to your other topics into it. Then set up that block so that anonymous users can't see it (uncheck the "Anonymous" checkbox and assign the block to the "Logged-in users" group). But why do you need to have to separate blocks anyway? If you set up the topic permissions correctly, then anonymous users will not see the topics that are for registered users only. Registered users, however, will have all the topics in one block. Wouldn't that be less confusing? bye, Dirk

richschmidt

Forum User
Junior
Dirk, It's funny -- I'm actually interested in something similar to what this person's asking about. I'd like the general public to be able to see most topics, but there are some I'd like to be available only to people belonging to certain groups. In my case, it's ministry teams at a church -- so only the band can see the music topic, only the kids workers can see the kids topic, etc. While the rest of the site is available to the browsing world, whether they're logged in or not. - Rich

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Geeklog's permission system will let you do that. Assign all those people to a group, then assign the topic ownership to that group and uncheck the "Anonymous" and "Members" checkboxes. That's all. bye, Dirk

richschmidt

Forum User
Junior
Hence the need for some real Geeklog docs! I haven't seen anything that tells me how to USE Geeklog. The only docs I've seen are for installation & modification. I've actually tried what you suggested, Dirk, but I also unchecked the "Group edit" box, because I didn't want every member of that Group to be able to edit posts in that topic. That's what that appeared to mean. I'm still playing with it, when I have time. But it sure would be nice to not have to waste this time just trying to figure out what the options mean... Peace, Rich

Anonymous

Anonymous

I would like to also have different topic blocks. The reason is the site is somewhat shared and I want person x to have his/her own section.

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:08 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content