Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Sunday, May 26 2024 @ 05:50 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Comments and the use thereof

moshiach

Anonymous
Ok, so new stupid question of the day. The Geekary needs to use the comment engine. I've found the COM_comment* functions, but I can't seem to make them work. I've looked into the code for article.php but its just not making any sense to me. Before I toddle off and write my own comment engine just to get this project done, can someone help me out? What I'm looking for is a general overview, not specific instructions, obviously. How do I call these functions to display comments after the main content block? Is there a count_comment function or do I need to reinvent the wheel every time? What if I delete the resource that was commented on? Is there a delete comments function I need to call to clean up after myself? Inquiring minds want to know. This is almost the last piece of the Geekary and if I don't get this project closed out soon I am going to run naked through the streets chanting the Geek song.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The only plugin so far that uses the comments engine is Blaine's File Management plugin (and I remember he had some problems as well at first). I'd suggest you have a look at how it does it ... bye, Dirk

moshiach

Anonymous
Thanks Dirk. I'll go dl that now and take a look.

efarmboy

Forum User
Although my fileMgmt Plugin integrates the Geeklog Comment Engine - it did not use the Plugin API's.

I have since spent time to better understand the comment related Plugin API's and had to create a new API call and made several other recommendations to changes required in existing code in the GL v1.3.6 comment.php and article.php programs.

With these changes and using the Plugin API calls, the integration is much nicer. The full features of the comment bar are now working and I can display the file details above the comment bar. You can see these changes in action on my site - access the comments under one of the files in the downloads area. I won't be releasing this modified version of the FileMgmt Plugin anytime soon.

I will be documenting the Plugin Comment API's as part of Tom and my efforts to write a developers guide.

Blaine

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:50 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content