Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 08:07 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

RSS Feeds with the default install?

Anonymous

Anonymous
Hi, how does one enable an RSS feed of the entire site, so people can use it? I have only a default install of geeklog v1.3.6 at this stage. Thanks!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
You want your news headlines to be available as an RSS feed? That's already done. Try http://yoursite/backend/geeklog.rdf You can disable this feature (and change the path and filename) in config.php bye, Dirk

47ronin

Forum User
How do you get the RSS headlines to show all (recent) stories? I have about 5 stories, and only 3 show up in any RSS news feeds.. apparently they're all from my "Site News" category. The other two are "General News" and they're not included in the news feeds.. why?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

Sounds like the issue descibed in this story: In case of empty or incomplete RDF files ....

bye, Dirk

47ronin

Forum User
Cool... it worked. (I wasn't sure how to run the query in phpMyAdmin so I just did it via command line) Thanks Dirk!

Anonymous

Anonymous

Thanks for the info, Dirk. My geeklog.rdf file does not seem to get updated at all, though, you said here that

1. It does not affect v1.3.6
  2. The solution

So I checked out with a mysql query, and indeed, it looked okay, with perm_anon already set to 2.

I still don't know why it isn't updating the file at all ... and FWIW, I changed the filename, and now it doesn't seem to have created the file at all. Do I have to "touch $filename" to "see" the updates to the file ... ?

Oh, and my blog and the /backend directory are as linked ...

Thanks for your responses -- appreciated. Smile

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Do you have any restrictions on your stories or topics? Geeklog will (as of 1.3.6, that is) only add stories to the RDF file if anonymous users can see the story and the topic it was posted under. When you change the path and/or name of the RDF file, you need to save a story so that the new file is actually written to (just edititing and saving an existing story should do). bye, Dirk

ravi

Anonymous

Nope, no restrictions whatsoever. However, I think my install was hosed ... there's no other explanation on why its going wrong. I just re-edited, and saved a story but my Backend directory hasn't changed at all.

I still haven't fully RTFM'ed, and so I really should't be bugging you. I'll get back to you (and/or file a bug report) if I still cannot get it fixed once I finish RTFM-ing.

Also, when I logon as "ravi" in my geeklog successfully, it shows me another login page, same as the previous one, except I am already logged in. If I hit on any link, it fires up my "Admin panel", and puts out the welcome msg on the top of my screen. I have one "extra" screen in between my login, and actually logged in screens. This didn't happen when I logon here, on www.geeklog.net, so I again doubt if its a problem with the software.

I'm thinking my install is hosed, because I have a ~/blog/ folder with everything, and a ~/blog/public_html/ folder also with a copy of everything, which however I'm not using anywhere -- My config.php has an edited value of $path_html ...

Thanks for everything ...

---
Larval Geek

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:07 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content