Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, May 16 2024 @ 04:22 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Apostrophe's, polls, and Account information

shortround

Anonymous
Hey Dirk, You seem to be the guy with the best advice around here, so I'm talking to you directly this time. Wink

I'm having a problem using apostrophe's in polls and account information. I've searched for a similar topic in here, but it didn't appear to be the same as my problem. As soon as I click "Save Information", I receive the error:

1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 's ' WHERE uid=3' at line 1

Everything else runs without a hitch. Any ideas?

-Shorty
http://goldentaco.org

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
<p>Sounds like this better be <a href="https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=7371&atid=107371">a bug report</a>. Please give examples of what you entered that may have caused the error. <p>I thought I'd fixed the problems with apostrophes in polls long ago, but maybe not ... <p>bye, Dirk

shortround

Anonymous
The odd thing is that I can see that the apostrophe's work fine in your polls and account information on this site. I'm running 1.3.6 as well, no plugins(except staticpages), and it's not a theme thing either. My custom theme produces the error just as the default themes with 1.3.6. I wonder why your site works and mine doesn't.--- -Shorty

Jamashawan

Anonymous
   The problem is that by using an apostrophe in the site name, you inadvertently muck up the last bit of the line. Go to config.php and look at the following line:      $_CONF[\'site_name\'] = \'Your Geeklog\'s Name\'; ...and change it to this...      $_CONF[\'site_name\'] = \'Your Geeklog\'s Name\';    I\'ve just installed GL v.1.3.8-1 and it allows apostrophes in poll names by default. Ok...so this question was asked about a year and a half ago...just though someone could use an answer! Hope it\'s not too late for someone to benefit!!

Jamashawan

Anonymous
Whoops! The forum removed my edit! Ok...the wordy version of the fix is to simply place a backslash right before the apostrophe! Ok, ok...yes, I see that there are 5 apostrophes there...so...put the backslash between the lowercase "g" and the following apostrophe, adn you're good to go.
Text Formatted Code

$_CONF['site_name'] = 'Your Geeklog/'s Name';

Modified with the code brackets by moderator HINT: 'Your Geeklog's Name' is just an example...use your own in it's place, and follow the pattern as above.

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:22 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content