Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 08:57 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Question about upgrading

oneilxm

Anonymous
Hello, I'm currently on the latest geeklog, and just read Dirks post about another new version becomming available. I have edited a lot of pages within my geeklog site, to change the feel, interaction and layout of my site. When I do upgrade to the new version, my changes will obviously be over written. 2 questions. 1: How can I save my changes so when I upgrade they are still there, and dont have to spend 6 weeks redoing them (my boss would kill me =/) 2: Is it possible to know, which files you have changed, and what fixes and where have been made, so I know if it is worthwile me proforming the upgrade. I dont wish to be a pain, but my bosses face dropped when I told him I may need to upgrade the site. He had that "not another 6 weeks" look on his face. Regards, oneilxm

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

Well, that's the risk you take when you modify core Geeklog files. That's also why we suggest to put as much of your modifications into lib-custom.php as possible.

If you've modified your theme, then it shouldn't be too hard to update it for 1.3.6. The changes are listed in the documentation.

As for a list of changed files - well, there's always CVS but you won't find many files that have not changed. Geeklog 1.3.6 really is a massive update that fixes a lot of minor bugs all over the place and also brings with it some (I hope) useful additions.

bye, Dirk

ndarlow

Forum User
Junior
If you have access to a unix-like system e.g. Linux you can do the following two stage process. 1a) Retrieve a version 1.3.5sr2 and 1.3.6 tarball and extract them both 1b) Do a recursive diff of the two versions saving the result to a file 2a) Do a recursive diff between version 1.3.5sr2 and your modified installation saving the result to a file 2b) Merge the result of (1b) and (2a) into the 1.3.6 tree You can do all of this offline and with a little patience you'll end up with a new version incorporating your modifcations. I don't think it'll take 6 weeks. Neil Darlow M.Sc. http://www.darlow.co.uk/

ndarlow

Forum User
Junior
Oops... step (2b) sould read: Merge the result of (1b) and (2a) into a copy of your modified installation The diff produced in (1b) will identify changes in 1.3.6 and that in (2a) will remind you of your modifications. Neil Darlow M.Sc. http://www.darlow.co.uk/

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:57 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content