Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, May 09 2024 @ 09:28 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Relative addresses?

plamping

Anonymous
My geeklog installation on my web hosting provider is slow. Page creation time is 12 seconds (although my internal test web server creates pages in 1 second). I inquired about this with the web host, and they said if I used "relative addresses for each webpage, not absolute" it might speed things up. Does anyone know if this is the real problem and, if it is, if there is a fix for this without having to re-write the whole thing? Paul

rcg

Forum User
I had similar differences between development and destination server speeds, but it was the reverse. The destination server is much faster. But this is only because my dev server at the time was sharing processing power with a few hog sites. If you want performance to improve, I think you're pretty much limited to upgrading your server.

Anonymous

Anonymous
In your config file, don't specify an absolute http://. An "absolute" URL can also begin with just a forward slash ( / ), and has the performance benefits of a relative path ( ../ ). Example: http://www.geeklog.net/layout/XSilver/images/logo.gif becomes /layout/XSilver/images/logo.gif This made a significant performance on my page load times. This will mess things up where GL prints your site URL, like on all printer-friendly pages. Just hack that page to include your full domain. --Aaron

Euan

Forum User
Sounds a little like my problem with my original host. There was an incompatibility with the university network and the host, which meant pages took up to 20 minutes to download. Changed host - problem went away. Get some people to check your site from other places. Cheers, Euan.
-- Heather Engineering
-- No job too small

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:28 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content