Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Monday, May 06 2024 @ 10:15 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Getting a clearer Search Results Page

maran

Forum User
Junior
Hello, I am in the process of setting up my GeekLog site, and I think the product is great. The one thing I am desperate to change, from a usability perspective is the search results page when doing a search for all types of content. I would like to change the code so that a block for certain types of content (Stories, events, links, static, etc), only show up if there are results -- unfortunately in my case, most of the goodies will be in stories (1st) or static pages (last) and I don't want people to not bother to scroll down far enough to see the results. I am a php/mysql developer, so I'm confident that I could make the change if I went in and started hacking away -- but, in the interest of maintaining the integrity of this great product, and keeping it upgradeable, I'm wondering if someone knows of a less extreme way to achieve this, or if anyone has already posted the code (I did search...). Thanks in advance to all - and to GeekLog folks for such a fine product. Maran

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Actually, I had the same idea just the other day. Since I need to do some hacking in search.php anyway, I might just implement this as well ... It should be fairly easy to do, anyway: In search.php, function searchstories(), when searchlinks() and/or searchevents() return no results, just skip the code that creates the blocks for those results. bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:15 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content