Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Sunday, October 06 2024 @ 07:30 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Unix v Win2k Servers - Anyone used GL on Win2k?

Spyda

Anonymous
Hi I currently run GL on a Win2k server and wondered if anyone else has. The reason for asking - I would like to know if it runs faster on Unix than Win2k. I find that my first page takes around 7/8 secs to load. If you can advise that would be great Smile Thanks

squatty

Forum User
I've run Geeklog (v1.3.x) on both Windows (XP) and Linux (RedHat 7.2), and to tell you the truth I don't think Geeklog is your bottleneck. The biggest problem I ran into with Windows was the Apache/PHP combination. The two just didn't play nice! I could never get the PHP module (API for Apache) to work! In place of running the "stable" API, I opted to run the less robust PHP CGI version. Which is a performance hit...single threaded! If you have the option, stick with a *nix system. You’ll be glad you did :-)
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Anonymous

Anonymous
I installed GL on a P100 box with about 64MB of RAM. It's sitting on a Cable modem and I am getting about 6sec page "creation" (Number reported at the bottom of the screen." I know that delivery will be limited by ISP but figure I could up the creation speed by sticking it on a faster box. In any case, the point to this was that it is running fine on a P100 box which can be had for nothing now a days and you have all the advantages of a Linux flavored OS. Kris A. Wotipka

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:30 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content