Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 12:21 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Some questions...

tito

Anonymous
First: There are a lot of free hosting sites that don`t allow the use of mail() in php apps.Since I`m planning to use one of such hosts ,will my geeklog installation be broken by this in any way? Second: In the installation txt theres this indication: chown -R <webuser>:<webuser> /path/to/geeklog Whats webuser:webuser? My login and password? Since this is a free host I shouldnt have to do this since the only login I have is the webuser login and I am already the owner of the path to geeklog.Is this right? Thanks for the great software and I`ll be notifying you when I get it up and running

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

If you can't use mail you can't use Geeklog, I'm afraid. When someone registers with Geeklog s/he will be mailed a password. Without that password, they can't log in ...

The webuser is the name under which the web server runs. Normally, when you are using a hosting service, you can simply skip this step since the user will be set automatically when you upload files.

bye, Dirk

tito

Anonymous
hmm...Im stuck now.My host is host.sk which has some nice features but mail () is disabled.Some people are able to get phpnuke and phpbb running by replacing the mail() function with something else but my php is not that good and I cant figure it out. Take a look here to see if you can tell me where geeklog uses mail() and where I can use this hack: discussion about this: http://forum.host.sk/read.php?f=19&i=2736&t=2736 host.sk mailer: http://www.softstash.host.sk/pafiledb3/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=10 Thanks for any help you can give me. If this fails anyone know of a good host where I can use geeklog with no problems? Ad-free pls.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

I don't know anything about that SMTP class that is suggested as a workaround there, but it's worth a try.

Basically, you can apply the same solution as suggested in that thread to Geeklog as well. The mail function call you need to replace is in emailpassword() in users.php.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:21 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content