Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 01:37 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

The links at the top...

dEmOnXeCuToR

Forum User
How exactly do you change those links like adding and deleting stuff?

alinford

Forum User
Regular Poster
I think that we need more info to help you.

dEmOnXeCuToR

Forum User
Like on the Xsilver theme at the top it says site stats calendar blah blah blah, those are images and I know how to change those but I don't have a clue how to change the stuff on the clean theme. I want to get rid of my links page or as its called there "Web resources" and make a static page for my links. But I don't know how to get rid of that text Web resources at the top bar.

alinford

Forum User
Regular Poster
Go to your lib-common.php and do a search for menu_elements.
You can then comment out the menu items you do not want.
Here is what I did on my site: linford.net

Anonymous

Anonymous
If you don't want menu items appearing in Geeklog's pre-determined order in your theme, then don't use menu_elements and plg_menu_elements. Instead, you can list the links out one by one in whatever order you want.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I wouldn't change lib-common.php since that makes upgrading a site more complicated. It's better to change it in the theme. As another comment already said, remove the {menu_elements} variable (from the theme's header.thtml) and replace it with the links you actually want to see there. bye, Dirk

dEmOnXeCuToR

Forum User
Problem... I can't get the fonts to change to the color I want them, they remain like regular links would, blue and purple... any clue on how to fix this? if not I'll go edit lib-common cause I only want to change the links.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Editing lib-common.php is not going to change your link colors. If you're using the XSilver theme, the alternating colors in the links located at the very top of the page are done by switching two graphics back and forth depending on whether your cursor is on or off. To change the colors here, you need to use a graphics editor.

The colors for all the other links are controlled by a style sheet in the theme. These are the relevant entries:

a {
font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif;
font-size: 11px;
color: #000000;
text-decoration : underline;
}

a:visited {
font-family: verdana, tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;
}

a:active {
color: #666666;
text-decoration : none;
}

a:hover {
}

If you want a different color, then change the hexidecimal number (e.g. color: #000000; = black). Here's a hex code chart with the basic 216 colors. There's far more color shades, but since you don't seem to know CSS it's best to stick with the basic ones initially.

If you want to make certain links a different color from the default ones, then create a class and give it any name you want. Usually, it's best to pick a name that's meaningful to what it's being used for. Insert the class into your theme where the link(s) will be located, and then define it in your style sheet. For example:

inside your theme file where you want the link you would place:
Text Formatted Code

<a class="newsitems">Some News Event</a>

inside your style sheet you would add these entries or however you want the links to appear:

a.newsitems, a.newsitems:visited, a.newsitems:active {
font-family: arial, sans-serif;
font-size: 18px;
color: #ff0000;
}

a.newsitems: hover {
font-family: arial, sans-serif;
font-size: 18px;
color: #ff00fff;
}

Those with the same characteristics can be grouped together like I showed here separated by a comma. They can also be listed separately

If you want to change the themes, I recommend you read up on how CSS works. It's kind of a strange concept at first exposure, but once used you'll see how easy it is to change the appearance over and over on your webpages without touching the code part. Here's a basic tutorial on the subject.

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:37 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content