Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 12:00 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Enhancement to Polls?

jerry2a

Forum User
Hello -

I was thinking of making a plugin for this, but I thought it might be something that would be cool to make as part of the standard "poll" function in Geeklog. These are three "nice to haves", in order of "niceness":

1) Ability to 'expire' polls - similar to expire feature in stories, this would a) remove a poll from the home page (if set) and b) would freeze the poll so no new votes can be counted - this would be very useful for time sensitive or "question of the week" type polls.

2) Ability to assign polls to categories or topics, and/or the ability to attach a poll to a story.

3) Ability to set a 'random' flag so you could have multiple polls "in rotation" on the home page but only have one display at a time.

Not sure if these have been discussed before, so I apologize if this has been requested before.

Love your software -

Jerry2A

tokyoahead

Anonymous
In general I see an issue in geeklog in the ability to attach certain things to certain other things. do you attach comments to polls and polls to stories? then where do the comments to the stories go to? At a certain place you have to stop with that.

I think it would make more sense to create more detailed topic-packages, where in one topic you have certain stories, certain plugins and certain blocks. this is working to a large extend, however there is no possibility yet to limit all plugins to topics and to control right blocks in all plugins. I think all plugins should allow to have left & right blocks and "which topic" just as the static pages do.

only like this you can create topic-related packages that work as sub-pages to the main topic of a webpage.

This is work that has to be done by plugin-developers however. It does not make sense to limit this centrally for the whole plugin from the core settings of the plugin since plugins like the static pages can be very generic and provide many types of topics with content.

There should be however a much more advanced standard plugin. However great the current one is, it does not care about a number of other functions that are quite necessary to bring geeklog forward and to help developers to make better integrated plugins. I am currently working on a more advanced version together with 1 more person of the comunity.
If anyone is willing to participate, any help is very appreciated.

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:00 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content