New Plugin: Contacts RC1 -Discontinued- Please See Tom's Contacts Plugin 1.1

mthomas

Forum User
-Discontinued- Please See Tom's Contacts Plugin 1.1

destr0yr

Forum User
great, looking forward to it.
-- destr0yr
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -- Douglas Adams

mthomas

Forum User
Uploaded RC1

destr0yr

Forum User
suggestion... change things from 'Contact' to 'contact'.

also on install got this,
Text Formatted Code

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_IF, expecting ')' in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/destr0yr.com/plugins/Contacts/language/english.php on line 52

Text Formatted Code

'access_denied'     => 'Access Denied',
        'access_denied_msg' => 'Only Contacts.admin Users have Access to this Page.  Your user name and IP have been recorded.' If you are a Root user you will need to set besure to set Security Rights Correctly,
        'admin'                 => 'Plugin Admin',

changed to
Text Formatted Code

'access_denied'     => 'Access Denied',
        'access_denied_msg' => 'Only Contacts.admin Users have Access to this Page.  Your user name and IP have been recorded. If you are a Root user you will need to set besure to set Security Rights Correctly',
        'admin'                 => 'Plugin Admin',

not sure if thats how its supposed to be... but it worked.

Also, /path/to/geeklog/public_html/admin/plugins/Contacts/admin.php doesn't exist... is it important?
-- destr0yr
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -- Douglas Adams

mthomas

Forum User
I'll check it out.

Quick Easteregg, atm anyhow it will become dynamic and more useful later, look at public_html index.php
You will see this code:

if ($row["misc_1"] == "Illinois")

Changing tha value here will cuase any record with a Location name matching to highlight yellow when you view the records. That same change can be applied in admin/index.php and printerfriendly/index.php

(however it makes no differance in the printer friendly since backgrounds images do not print by default in most browsers (user selectable in most cases)

mthomas

Forum User

destr0yr

Forum User
when at /admin/plugins/Contacts/insert.php, there's a link that says `I changed my mind I want to return to the Admin Screen'. The link is pointing to /admin/plugins/Contacts/admin.php.
-- destr0yr

mthomas

Forum User

mthomas

Forum User

mthomas

Forum User

mthomas

Forum User

tomw

Forum User
Might I suggest that you change the name of the plugin so that people do not confuse it with my plugin of the same name. See Main Story at Gplugs Site

TomW

confused

Anonymous
Maybe someone can explain what this plugin offers that the original contacts that Tom wrote does not offer.

mthomas

Forum User
Honestly I did not see the plugin Tom made. I will change the name and I'll take a look at Tom's plugin.

edit:
Interesting I looked around for a plugin but somehow I never noticed his in the plugins downloads. Oh well. So much for my contributing....

mthomas

Forum User
Tom's Plugin has most of the features I planned on, and looking at his set up is currently beyond my level of php programming, I will be working on a add-on for features I need at my company that his plugin does not address, so keep an eye out.

tomw

Forum User
I did not mean to discourage you from writing your plugin, you can learn alot. Everyone might not like my plugin -- we all have different views of things and different needs. If I was writing it now, I would do it different.

Feel free to take my code and modify it and release your modifications back to the community -- thats the way it works best.

TomW

Blaine

Forum User
I completely agree with Tom, we need more plugin developers in the community. As Tom said, alternatives are nice to have as long as credit is given any code that you've used.

You learn a lot from developing your own plugin and once you have done one, it's a lot easier.

Tom's avatar may be a Hog but he loves to share and contribute

Like my Papa always said - Pigs get slaughtered and Hogs get fed
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

mthomas

Forum User
No discouragement here...ok maybe a bit. BUT as I have found at work, when discouragement strikes I usually pump out 3 weeks work in 5 hours...soooo I'll be coding for awhile.

I like your plugin Tom tho looking at its it's not quite where I need it, or rather is more than I need, tho it will have a use for me as well. As I said I'm gonna take a look and probably end up with a Add-on instead of a upgrade to verse 1.1. Time will tell.

samstone

Forum User
I agree that it's time for the Contact Plugin to move to another level. It has been the way it is since GL 1.3.6.

So don't give up.

Sam

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:14 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content