Topics

User Functions

Events

There are no upcoming events

What's New

Stories last 2 weeks

No new stories

Comments last 2 weeks

No new comments

Trackbacks last 2 weeks

No new trackback comments

Links last 2 weeks

No recent new links

NEW FILES last 14 days

No new files

Welcome to Geeklog Sunday, March 29 2015 @ 04:44 PM EDT

The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.

• Powered by Geeklog
  • Authored by:Anonymous on Tuesday, March 11 2003 @ 05:37 PM EST
I've been getting email after email regarding this issue and my site. It's funny how they think I owe Geeklog and the only way to repay that is by showing some sort of 'powered by' description. Why's it funny? Because the day after I released my 10 themes for the Geeklog community to use, I get this flack.
I put this message in the distribution:
"* My only request is that you tell me where you're using any of these themes... it's just something nice to know I suppose. "

After receiving maybe 3 or 4 email's telling me what sites are using them and seeing 300+ hits to the file on my server, I didn't fret. Big deal. I don't care if people are using my themes and not telling me or saying, "this site powered by Geeklog and Travis' theme."

I don't see why these Geeklog users who don't contribute anything to the project can go and give me this sort of hassle.

Oh well, the trials and tribulations of open source I suppose.

Travis
  • Powered by Geeklog
  • Authored by:alinford on Tuesday, March 11 2003 @ 06:57 PM EST
Travis,
everyone has their own opinion. I tend to agree with you and the article about the pissed off nukers. I use Dreamweaver and do not give Macromedia any credit on any sites I have done.

By the way, I was the one that originally asked the question. I hope that you could tell by the tone of the question that it was non accusitory. I was just curious.

I may create a static page that links to all of the products that are in use on my site. I can then have a link in the footer that links to the static page. I do not mind advertising to the world what I am using. I do mind telling hackers what I am using, so this may never get done :)
I hope that this does not sour you on releasing more themes, plugins, blocks, hacks, etc. I think that most people that are emailing you about it are just protective of GL and the developers.
  • Powered by Geeklog
  • Authored by:Anonymous on Wednesday, March 12 2003 @ 01:29 AM EST
If you didn't want your original post to sound angry and accusatory, then maybe you shouldn't have ended it with those two lines in all-caps and bold. :)
  • Powered by Geeklog
  • Authored by:alinford on Wednesday, March 12 2003 @ 01:44 AM EST
That was not from me. This was from me:

• Powered by Geeklog
  • Authored by:cl1ck on Wednesday, March 12 2003 @ 05:42 AM EST
Interesting discussion!

I asked the geeklog team straight out what is required from us leechy geeklog users because I'm using this at work and wanted to be legit. Dirk, i believe, answered something to the effect of, "You don't have to link us or even tell us about it." That being said, I and my office stand to benefit greatly from the use of this product. Your decision to contribute to something you use and benefit from is just that....you decision.

Having a long list of links on your first page can be unsightly and quite unprofessional. For the one at work, we are releasing our custom theme. For my personal one, i leave the powered by geeklog footer. for another geeklog i run, i use a modified version of this small php_block contributed by ironfeather in this article. It randomly picks a 88x31 button to display in a block everytime something is clicked on the site. there are also a couple of static buttons for mozilla and for me. then there is a link to a page with all credits listed. It a cool script, it looks nice and neat. something like that can be turned on for anonymous users and turned off for members. There are other ways to contribute besides a linking. it all boils down to if you want to or not.

but there are far too many good projects in the open source graveyard because people leeched and gave nothing back.

---