Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 01:53 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Removing some menuitems

TheTiGuR

Anonymous
I've finally gotten my site just about perfectly geeked for my needs, but I have one more thing I need to do to be perfect: Remove those unnecessary and/or duplicated menu items from the top nav bar. Only one plugin I am using, Contacts, is kind enough to allow me to change what the Navbar shows, if anything. For all the other pluings out there, how do I remove their menuitem? I've tried removing the text from the lang file for the particular plugin, but I still end up with the vertical seperators, just without text. Where can I go to do this? If you need an example, ou can view wh.unityalliance.com. Thanks!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Have a look at your theme's header.thtml. You'll notice two variables {menu_elemens} and {plg_menu_elements}. The first variable is replaced with the built-in menu items (contribute, links, calendar, etc.) and the second is replaced with menu entries provided by the plugins. You could simple remove the {plg_menu_elements} variable and then hand-code only the links you want instead. bye, Dirk

vinny

Site Admin
Admin
To individually remove the menu link you can comment out the function "plugin_getmenuitems_<plugin_name>" from the plugins function.inc file. -Vinny

Anonymous

Anonymous
That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the info!

Anonymous

Anonymous
you could just disable them in the blocks section of the admin settings, as opposed to completly trashing them.

jadiepoo

Forum User
Chatty
Instead of deleting, how do you rename a menu item?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Look for the text of the menu entry in the language file (english.php or whatever you're using). bye, Dirk

chief123

Forum User
Chatty
Where are the built-in menu items defined? Thanks.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
lib-common.php, function COM_siteHeader() bye, Dirk

Berek

Anonymous
artistic
Hi Guys,

I would like to do something similiar and I cannot seem to see how to remove only one item from the menu. I want to remove the 'Web resources' from the bar. I have a html Links page and do not need two in the bar. I do want to keep the menu.
Can someone tell me how to do this?
I am no expert in this stuff, so please be kind to explain which file, and which parameter to remove.
Regards,
Berek

exaurdon

Forum User
Regular Poster
I don't believe 'web resources' is a standard menu item of any type. It is probably a custom part of the theme you have chosen for you site.

What theme are you using?
Does the link show up on other themes?

If it is part of the theme, you will have to edit the theme template files to remove the link.

Ex

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
FAQ: How do I change the menu?

bye, Dirk

Berek

Anonymous
Hi again,

I agree that web resources is actually from the theme. However, it is the 'Links' element. I will try to figure out how to change the menu_elements parameter.

Thanks,
Berek

Berek

Anonymous
Solution to my problem:
in lib_common.php:

// links link
$header->set_var( 'menuitem_url', $_CONF['site_url'] . '/links.php' );
$header->set_var( 'menuitem_text', $LANG01[72] );
$header->parse( 'menu_elements', 'menuitem', false );

Changed this menuitem to false.

Regards,
Berek

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:53 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content