Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 04:02 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

almost super

harry

Anonymous

Geeklog is almost the best of the bunch (IMHO).

After reading the docs, I decided to try the install script/page. I had absolutely no luck with that and revereted to editing the various configuration files by hand. I now have a mostly-working version of GeekLog. The problems have mostly to do with paths. I'm getting a lot of 404s. I've grepped for url errors but haven't gotten all of them.

I'm thinking that maybe GeekLog assumes it's going to be located in a certain directory.

I'd really like to make this thing work. I'm even willing to help code : ) but I wanted to see if there's anything obvious I'm missing or doing wrong.

Thanks

Harry

harry

Anonymous
I ended up putting GL at the web root directory, and the site is working fairly well.

I'm getting some 404s, but not like before.

This is a great weblog.

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
Geeklog should be able to run from ANY directory in a web tree. If you are having trouble with specific pages in a Geeklog installation outside of the web-tree then that is a bug and you should <a href="http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=7371&atid=107371">report it</a> as such.
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
You mentioned you had problems with the installation script. Can you tell me specifically what the problem is? I need to get this script as stable as possible and just saying "it wouldn't work" doesn't help anyone. Post the bugs you find to our SF site by clicking "Submit a Bug" at the top of this page.
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

harry

Anonymous
There are a lot of steps left out in the installation instructions. Several files need to be renamed and modified before the install url works (ie config and lib_db...). When I got to the install page, it wasn't clear what the state of the db was supposed to be before submitting. i ended up having to drop and recreate my db a lot. when i did get past this page, i came to the page which asked for db info (user, db, pass...). it seems that this should come before you create the db. the script should figure out what the state of the db is and go accordingly. Many of the other problems were related to paths. Putting GL in a subdir (www.foo.bar/path/gl) seemed to break some of the links. When I moved it up to the root dir, it fixed most of that. sorry to be vague, but i don't recall in detail the whole installation. i think this installation process is very important. if done user base is limited to geeks. but if you have an effective and well documented install process, any newbie webmaster could (and probably would) use it. one thing i did notice when looking at these various weblogs was that few of them were simple to install. (i think b2 was the best) i'm out of work now and would probably be willing to put in some fixes. there are some other bugs that i think i've found, but haven't verified. though i would suggest setting up some sort of bug tracking software (i like bugzilla) before bringing on additional help.

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:02 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content