Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 12:49 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

With V1.3 so close should a newcomer wait

paul

Anonymous
The question is, if you are planning to use Geeglog for a new website is it worth waiting a couple more weeks for the release of 1.3?

The new version looks to be major in terms of structure and it isn't obvious whether the upgrade path will be easy for current users.

For someone like myself who could wait the extra couple of weeks before I even start on a new site it would be great to hear the developers comments on this.

MLimburg

Forum User
Chatty
Okay, there are two things to note. Firstly, there WILL be a full upgrade path from 1.x across to 1.3 - and we're looking to ensure all the previous problems (like the anon user issues) are as complete as they can be. Those of you who had a customised environment will need (of course) to alter the 1.3 install to suit their specific look and feel, but the data will be shunted into the new 1.3 version. Secondly, if you can wait, then do! 1.3 is a serious update to 1.2, and extends the power, security and features of GL to new heights. Moving a 1.2 install into 1.3 will touch only half the potential of 1.3, so if you are able to wait for 1.3, then do! We will have a 1.3 beta out within the next two weeks, for all and sundry to test out. We need everyone we can to get involved with the beta test, so we can get a feature freeze in place and iron the final bugs out. As GL 1.3 has been either rewritten or reformatted in total, there are the occasional bug - because it's been reformatted or rewritten, it's VERY simple to repair it. So, the upshot? If you have to deploy, go for 1.2.5.1 currently. If you can wait, wait for the 1.3 beta to test the app AND your implementation of the app, and wait for the 1.3 release. If 1.3 beta turns out as well as I suspect it will, I will supply an upgrade from 1.3 beta to 1.3 final -- IF the beta is as stable as I think.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Anonymous

Anonymous
I tried to check it out, but anonymous login is blocked. Is that on purpose ? cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.GeekLog.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/geeklog login cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.Geeklog.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/geeklog co geeklog-1.3 - Daniel

cyclonus

Anonymous
Wait... if everything is database driven - how can upgrading 1.2 to 1.3 half the potential? Rather, I don't understand how an upgraded system would differ from a fresh install? I mean, in the worst case, I could keep hacking at the database until it works right Wink -dd

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
It is hard for me to explain what 1.3 will bring you all but if you can wait do. If you can help test the beta then please do. My biggest concern is having enough help testing all the new features. --Tony
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

johnboy

Anonymous
Sign me up to help with the beta test. I'm looking at systems for a client which will give them a CM type system without shelling out the bucks for Vignette or something silly like that. I'm very impressed with what I see so far. John

egrep

Anonymous
I am currently using GL 1.2.5-1 on my personal site, and do not really want to wait 2 weeks+ to get it running on another site I have. I am a bit confused about the 1.2 -> 1.3 upgrade only giving you 1/2 the benefits. Could you expand on this? As long as most of the content on a 1.2.5-1 site is upgradable to 1.3, then I will be happy. Also, put me down for the beta test :-)

MLimburg

Forum User
Chatty
Okay, let be define it. My starting with a scratch copy of 1.3 will allow you to define your site from the bottom up, including the *way* you build your site. Importing a 1.2.x across to 1.3 will import your data ... which will only fit 1/2 the potential of an ENTIRE 1.3 install. Guys, you can still ADD to your new 1.3 to use all the features - it's not like they're locked off! I mean, does 1.2.x install use themes, templates, and multiple db's? No, hench, these features will not be imported to 1.3! That's all I meant ... One point is, people build a "concept" of the site also, a plan of what you want vs what the webapp can provide. Your site is a reprentation of that plan. With new (and significant) alterations to the number and depth of features, the original plan can alter also. Our plan is to import the data across. Simple. The rest is in your hands.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Anonymous

Anonymous
well i hope i can still use the language file, because i'm working at it but its quite big, and if i can't use it anymore with 1.3 then i'll stop translating it ofcourse now. please reply quick Wink spacey@scholieren.com

Tane

Forum User
Well, the 1.3 language will WILL be different. If your translating the 1.2.5 file, its sorta ok, but there are new fields to be added to work in 1.3 Also, the language file layout will most likely be changed from magic numbers to more descriptive. I can't really explain it just now, as its not been fully decided yet. But your effort will not be totally wasted.

egrep

Anonymous
Awesome... That makes sense... Thanks for clearing up my misconceptions... :-)

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
OK, you are signed up. I hope to get a BETA out sometime next week.
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
We are going to improve how the language file is handled. Currently the language file has multiple entries for the same text in a number of places making the file very bloated. We have a number of ideas of how to fix this but we are saving this for last as the functionality is the key focus now. Once we get most of the themes/plugins/security tested and get closer to a release we will get this cleaned-up and out in time for you all to make your translations.

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:49 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content