Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 04:56 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Config.ini path--can't figure it out

paul

Anonymous
It's probably so simple but in the line

$CONF["path"] = "";

I can't get anything to work. The structure of my files is as supplied.

Can anyone give me a hint how to get it working

MLimburg: You must have a path! Click on the Comments link below for more info.

paul

Anonymous
Sorry, when I said I can't get anything to work I meant any path names I tried didnt work. Is it the absolute path to the server. I've tried directory names, ../ ./ & all sorts of combinations. The 'read more' link didnt work so I'm still a little lost thanks for the swift reply.

MLimburg

Forum User
Chatty
You must supply a path variable, because PHP requires it for some of the commands it uses. It also allows GL to provide some wothwhile secure features. So, on a *nix machine, your path would look something like ...
  • /home/username/html/
... and on a Windows mahine, it would looke like ...
  • "C:/My Documents/Websites/Geeklog/"
Even placing a "/" into it would make GL look inside the root directory of the server. So take the time to check out the exact path of the geeklog installation and enter into this variable. Without it, GL just won't work.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

paul

Anonymous
I think I've tried every combination now (except the right one!)

how would I do it if it was for a hosted domain eg

/myurl/pathtoGL

This is the output I'm getting with what I'm doing ATM. It seems that there is an extra "/" in there

Warning: Failed opening '/home/myaccount/public_html/gl/public_html//../sessions.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/myaccount/public_html/gl/public_html/common.php on line 30

I'd love to get thing working, the future of it looks cool

MLimburg

Forum User
Chatty
I am webmaster for a subdirectory of a larger website. As such the site "proper" is ...
  • http://www.sca.org.au
... and my area is at ...
  • http://www.sca.org.au/innilgard/
Now, the settings I use within this (version 1.2.5.1) installation are ...
  • $CONF['path'] = '/home/sca/html/innilgard/';
  • $CONF['base'] = 'http://www.sca.org.au/innilgard';
As you can see, the BASE variable is the URL and PATH from within a browsers perspective, and the PATH variable is the PATH PROPER from the server's perspective. Hope this helps.

paul

Anonymous
That helped a lot...

What I was doing was setting the path for GL as the public_html directory in the GL path, woops

My only last reaining problem is this error

Warning: Failed opening '/home/myaccount/public_html/new2//../sessions.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/myaccount/public_html/new2/public_html/common.php on line 30

Where should the sessions.php file go to have this work?

Your replies have been much appreciated, thank you

MLimburg

Forum User
Chatty
Hmmm, I need to take a look at what your BASE and PATH variables are ... the sessions file should be in the /path/to/geeklog/pubic_html directory. Come into IRC if you're free .. into #geeklog on irc.opennetworks.net and I'll see if I can spot the problem with you live.

gnuyen

Anonymous
how do you submit stories to geeklog

Anonymous

Anonymous
.. with the CONTRIBUTE link on the menu above.

paul

Anonymous
Finally got it figured out thanks to Mark. If you are putting the index.php file anywhere than your main website root directory (thats where it is now) then you have to either get your host company to "point" to the directory you are installing to or set it up manually if you are allowed.

Eg My problem is that I want to set up a new discussion site in a folder on my main site. I have a domain name for it and my hosting company allows 5 pointed domains so I have requested that:

www.mynewsite.com be pointed to

www.myoriginalsite.com/mynewsite

This is also a subdomain and shows up as

www.mynewsite.myoriginalsite.com

The other way of doing it is detailed here but is not allowed by customers to do on my hosting company, but obviously if you have your own server or rights its no problem

http://support.cyberhostway.com/misc/htaccess.html

Hope this saves someone time

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:56 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content