Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 07:36 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Upgrade 1.4 Geeklog

snowplough

Forum User
cheerful
Hi,

I have a nice site http://gedenphachobhucho.org I installed in 2006 or 7 on geeklog 1.4 I want to update it to the latest or latest stable, I have an old GLMenu plugin I used but its not essential to use it now.

I would love to use Geeklog for the new installation, I now use Wordpress for all my professional sites but do feel that it would be nice to use Geeklog sometimes for some sites again.

thanks for any support.

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
The latest version of Geeklog v2.2.0 will upgrade fine from Geeklog 1.4 but as always be sure to back up your files and database first incase you have to put everything back as before.

The GLMenu has not been upgraded for a long time so you would have to uninstall this plugin first.

There is another menu plugin you can use though which can be found here: Geeklog Plugins that Support v2.2.0

The only real issue I see is your theme. There has been many theme changes since Geeklog v1.4 so your current theme will not work. Your best bet is to use one of the current themes of Geeklog (like the denim theme) and then change it to look like your older theme.

All the current themes of Geeklog are reponsive and therefore mobile friendly.

One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

snowplough

Forum User
Thanks, out of interest one of the links https://www.cafepress.com/eshirtlabs/3840784 points to an ecommerce site, is this a geeklog site ? anyway amazing to see it still going.

snowplough

Forum User
The upgrade instructions say put the whole contents of the new zip into the old geeklog docs folder but this would overwrite content wouldn't it ?

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
It would only overwrite the Geeklog files.

In your case if the only extra plugin you have installed is the GLMenu plugin, to upgrade your site I would do a fresh install and just upgrade your database. Since Geeklog 1.4 there have been a bunch of files removed and new ones added. So I would:

1) Backup, Backup, Backup

2) Uninstall the GLMenu Plugin

3) Move all your old Geeklog files to some other folder

4) Copy over all the new Geeklog Files to the website.

5) Copy from your old Geeklog files all article, topic, and user images (and any other images or files you may link too)

5) Run the install upgrade and point it to your old database

6) Go to the website. At this point all data should hopefully be upgraded and you should be using the denim theme.

You really probably should do this on a test website first using a copy of your old database. You can then spend time and update the theme as you see fit as depending on the changes you want to do it could take a while. If you do the test website using a different domain you would then choose migrate in the install instead of upgrade as that will update the config with the new domain information along with doing the upgrade process.

One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:36 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content