Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 10:36 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

GL 1.8.2 not working with Windows 7 / IE9

worldfooty

Forum User
Me again.

The main guy who writes and edits stories on my website only has Windows 7 and IE9 available on his work laptop and since I upgraded us to GL 1.8.2 when he goes to our website www.worldfootynews.com it just comes up with a blank screen. No error just blank he says. I reckon I saw it too at my work just before I "upgraded" from IE9 to IE10.

I know I need to move past 1.8.2 but I can't do it in the next few months. And his employer won't install any other browser on the laptop (I'm probably lucky he's allowed to do a bit of editing on his lunchbreak etc).

I didn't want to hassle people here for a backwards issue like this but he's really stuck.

I've used my site with Vista / IE9 and Win7 /IE 10 and Win8 / IE10 and all those combinations work fine.

A known issue? Any work around?

ironmax

Anonymous
You may want to try and change your doc type to

Text Formatted Code

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

Because right now the doctype your using needs to be updated. The above should fix your problems. Make a backup copy of your header.thtml if you are not using the default theme that came with 1.8.2. Another words, if your using a custom theme, back it up first. Then make the change, or update the theme with proper tags to take advantage of the config options.

The other way is to go into your admin config and select theme, then doctype and select either XHTML strict or transitional. Which ever one fixes the problem until you can get the site fixed the real way, by updating both the version number and theme.

This should fix your story editor's issues with IE9 in strict 9 mode. Or he might try to put his browser into quirks mode, to see if that helps.

Michael

worldfooty

Forum User
I just have whatever 1.8.2 professional theme gave me out of the box, which when I view page source says is html4 strict and from Admin/theme is 4.01 strict.

I'll try other options in that list thanks... and hope it doesn't then break someone else's browser!

worldfooty

Forum User
OK, so there were 4 doctype modes available for professional theme under 1.8.2.

I tried all of them and each time got him to restart his browser and clear the cache. Same result still, a blank window.

Twerks mode I assume is when he hits the little broken page symbol for backward compatibility. He tried that too, no change.

Another reader has now reported the same thing.

Any other suggestions?

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
Something should display... To me it sounds like either the website is blocking him (badbehaviour2, ban plugin, etc...) and returning a blank page or he can't access the site through the network he is using, or something on his computer is blocking him.

Can you have him load up the website? Then have him right click on the blank page and click on the menu item view source.. If nothing is displayed then it is most likely one of these problems.

You can also have him display the docs on your site

www.yoursitename.net/docs/english/

to see if he is being blocked or not.

You could also have him try our Geeklog 1.8.2 demo site. If he can see that he should be able to see your site unless he is getting blocked:

http://demo.geeklog.net/

One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

worldfooty

Forum User
All good suggestions thanks. I've asked him to try them all. I should've thought of getting him to access it through something like anonymouse as well.

Having said that, the other guy that was also having problems tried (on the same system he was having the problem) today tried chrome instead and it was fine. So that doesn't sound like blocking. But I can't be sure his problem was the same as my main guy that I started this thread about.

We'll see what he finds.

worldfooty

Forum User
OK, I got him to try all the suggestions. He found:

Ok, I can view source, no problem. A whole lot of HTML.

I can also view the docs page.

And I can go to the Geeklogs site.

This is the case in IE9 on my computer at work, on my wifes computer at home. Rod (definitely) and Wes (I think) have been having the same problem.

I am not being IP blocked as far as I can tell that looks very different to this.

He also tried an anonymising site and it showed us as blank too.

So if the geeklog 1.8.2 site worked for him then presumably there's something specific to my site that is failing? The menu plugin perhaps? Just fumbling in the dark.

He can repeat this on two different IE9/Windows7 machines.

::Ben

Forum User
Nice tool on http://netrenderer.com. It confirms your site is blank under IE9 (some of mine too).

I made some tests and the problem may come from the menu plugin. I need more time to investigate on this.

Thanks,

Ben
I'm available to customise your themes or plugins for your Geeklog CMS

Forum User
IE11 can also emulate IE9 with F12 (developper tools) and I can confirm the blank page issue.

Ben

Forum User
Menu plugin 1.2.1 with bug fix for IE9 is available for download.

Thanks,

Ben

Forum User
Menu plugin version 1.2.3 is out. Tested on IE7 to IE11.

Thanks

Ben

worldfooty

Forum User
By the way, just for completeness, I can confirm that upgrading the menu plugin with those latest fixes got my site working under IE9.

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:36 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content