Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 16 2024 @ 04:35 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Getting an error in permission to access /admin/story.php but only on some stories

worldfooty

Forum User
Hi,

Last year my host moved servers and killed our site for a week until I managed to patch everything back together again using my meagre knowledge and help from this forum. Some residual issues remained unanswered - see this thread: http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=94196

But other than a user not able to insert video in the story intro sections, only in the body, no major problems.

Then suddenly this week an external RSS feed we were showing broke (external problem) but in trying to write to error.log there was a permissions problem and so our whole site was down for a day until I got to fix the permissions. Very odd that this happened out of the blue after 7 months of no problems.

Then one of our writers reported that he'd published a story but when he went back to it to edit it he was getting a permission error. I tried to edit it as well and got the same thing, even when logged in as Admin.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /admin/story.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.22 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.22 OpenSSL/1.0.0-fips mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.17 Server at www.worldfootynews.com Port 80

I've contacted our hosts and they are unaware of any recent server changes.

I tried creating a new story, pasted the author's html into it, saved it, no problem. Selected edit, made no changes, pressed save, got the same error! Deleted all the text and replaced with just the word fred, pressed save, same error!

I went around and tried to edit a bunch of other stories, no problem.

I don't understand how there can be a permission to access error one moment on admin/story.php and then the next I'm saving a new article or editing another old one and getting a success code 9 via admin/story.php.

I've tried a variety of ways of re-creating the article in question. I tried creating a new one and pasting everything in, saving it, editing, saving, error. I then tried creating a new one and pasting in parts of it, saving it, sometimes error, sometimes not. So I thought I was narrowing in on the offending text. But then when I thought I'd found the evil paragraphs it worked with them in. Over about 10 attempts I found (worst nightmare) that it isn't consistent.

I was trying this at work today and after a while I got an error that implied my work had locked me out - maybe my work had or maybe the site hosts detected all the errors as anomalous and locked me out. I've just now experienced a similar problem at home, so maybe I've been blacklisted!

worldfooty

Forum User
Yep, I was blacklisted. The hosts have whitelisted me now.

But the original problem remains. Any ideas?

worldfooty

Forum User
Unfortunately since I created several stories (thankfully as drafts) testing if there was some particular text causing me the above problem, I now have these dummy stories that can't be deleted - I get the same error as reported when trying to edit them.

I'm guessing from the silence that everyone else is looking at this thinking hmmm, no idea.

Perhaps next Christmas holidays I'll get a chance to upgrade to a newer GL version (I'm on 1.7.1) and this will all mysteriously fix itself.

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
When saving what does the error look like exactly?
One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

worldfooty

Forum User
What I wrote above, i.e.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /admin/story.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.22 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.22 OpenSSL/1.0.0-fips mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.17 Server at www.worldfootynews.com Port 80

1000ideen

Forum User
I just found this: http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=1&showtopic=63677 Maybe as Dirk suggested "some sort of monitoring software" on the server?

Anything special with the stories? Length, some words in it like iframe, from? Any problems with uploaded images, are they in their correct subdirectory / deleted?

worldfooty

Forum User
Well the thing is that when I created a new story myself and pasted in the same complete html and text, it saved ok. I then clicked edit, changed nothing, save and I got the error. So then I tried creating yet another new story, pasted in just the first paragraph, saved it, edit, save, no problem. I progressively added more until the error, so I knew I'd narrowed it down to one paragraph. But then I tried again with just that paragraph and it didn't cause the error! I tried various combinations and it was inconsistent, then I got blacklisted by the hosts for all odd errors I was generating. So I'm a bit loathe to experiment like that again. The article in question is this one: http://www.worldfootynews.com/article.php/2013022707534198 As it stands it now cannot be edited any more in any way without the error occurring. It's not really necessary to edit it now, we've moved on, but it's sure strange. So yes I agree it seems like some server thing but it isn't consistent which is very odd.

worldfooty

Forum User

Another one of our writers has also noticed that Media Gallery is not allowing uploads. I just tried myself and got this error, which I have no idea how to fix (yes I realise Root Debugging is on):

An error has occurred:
This is being displayed as "Root Debugging" is enabled in your Geeklog configuration.

If this is a production website you must disable this option once you have resolved any issues you are investigating.

2 - move_uploaded_file(/home/world/public_html/mediagallery/mediaobjects/orig/3/3_goal_celebration_-_china_blues_2004_-_small.jpg) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: Permission denied @ /home/world/public_html/mediagallery/lib-upload.php line 1395

array(45) {
["filename"]=>
string(14) "/tmp/phpWd8YUZ"
["file"]=>
string(47) "Goal Celebration - China Blues 2004 - small.JPG"
["albums"]=>

[snipped out a huge amount here]

string(104) "/home/world/public_html/mediagallery/mediaobjects/tn/3/3_goal_celebration_-_china_blues_2004_-_small.jpg"

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:35 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content