Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, April 24 2024 @ 11:48 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

What

winnerdk

Forum User
I'm in the process of switching my website over to a subscription based model. All new content will be behind a "pay wall" that only users who are logged on can see.

The problem is that my website has been up for more than eight years, and there are now more than 5,000+ user accounts.

Many of these accounts are no longer active. In any case, I want to delete all of the accounts that are not associated with a paying subscriber.

What's the best way to delete or purge these users from the database? I was going to start by deleting all of those users who have established an account, but who have never logged on.

I went fishing around in phpMyAdmin and I see gl_userinfo, gl_userprefs, and gl_users for example, and I know all of these are populated by the input from the website.

Is there any way to to quickly and easily delete many accounts? Or, am I going to have to spend hours and hours deleting these accounts one at a time?

Don
www.panama-guide.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
First of all: Don't do it in phpMyAdmin. There are connections between all those tables that you have to know about. Better let Geeklog do it for you.

Check if any of the "Batch Admin" options in the User Manager would help you delete unwanted users.

If those options are not what you want, I'd write a PHP script that selects the users to delete and then calls USER_deleteAccount($uid) on each of them.

bye, Dirk

winnerdk

Forum User

The Batch Admin functionality works fine. Is there any way to get more than 50 displayed at a time?

Don

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
There's a dropdown (next to "Search"Wink that goes up to 500.

bye, Dirk

::Ben

Forum User
Why don't you create a group to add subscribers to? And set your new articles only readable buy this group. Like this you can keep all your members and send a email to propose subscriptions for your new content.

Ben

[Note: There is a bug in forum plugin that removes part of the title if it contains an apostrophe]

I'm available to customise your themes or plugins for your Geeklog CMS

winnerdk

Forum User
Quote by: Dirk

There's a dropdown (next to "Search"Wink that goes up to 500.

bye, Dirk

The drop down box to return up to 500 results apparently only works for the Search functionality.

I tried to use it as I was purging the database, and no matter what I got 50 lines of users.

Don

winnerdk

Forum User
Quote by: ::Ben

Why don't you create a group to add subscribers to? And set your new articles only readable buy this group. Like this you can keep all your members and send a email to propose subscriptions for your new content.

Ben

[Note: There is a bug in forum plugin that removes part of the title if it contains an apostrophe]

Too late, I've already deleted most of the old users.

The vast majority had registered or never logged on with email addresses related to spammers.

I've already decided the "pay wall" will be determined by logged on users. If you want to see the content you pay the subscription, log on, and read. Those who are not logged on are not paying subscribers.

I was just trying to determine the easiest and fastest way to delete all of that old, dead wood. Now, most of that has been done, using the User Batch functions (thanks, Dirk). I had forgotten that those were there.

I've got it pared down to a manageable number now, and from here I can fine tune it, over time.

Don
www.panama-guide.com

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:48 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content