Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 06:41 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Help! Recover From Fatal Plugin Install Attempt (Site Now Crashed)

winnerdk

Forum User
Friggin' wonderful.

I tried to install the PayPal plugin, and now my site is in a sort of death spiral.

The plugin did not install correctly, so now I'm trying to rip it out by it's roots.

However, during the install it screwed things up so bad that now I can't access the admin section.

Help. What's the best and fastest way to recover from this?

I've been trying to hack away at it myself, with no success.

Don
www.panama-guide.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Does this article help?

http://wiki.geeklog.net/index.php/Disabling_a_plugin

bye, Dirk

winnerdk

Forum User
Yes. Thank you. Worked perfectly.

FYI - there is apparently some sort of real problem that creates a sort of "feedback loop" within the PayPal plugin.

I tried to install and run the PayPal plugin, but it got "stuck" looking for the jQuery plugin (which I didn't have installed.)

So it just went into a death spiral of fatal errors...

Not fun.

I'm currently running GL 1.7.1sr1

I understand jQuery support is included in 1.8 and above, is that right?

So, if I first upgrade then maybe I would not have had this error.

In any case ... Thanks for the help, Dirk - as always.

Don

::Ben

Forum User
Don,

As you can read on the download page, Paypal 1.4.3 plugin is a shop plugin for Geeklog 1.8.0+

Ben
I'm available to customise your themes or plugins for your Geeklog CMS

winnerdk

Forum User

Yeah, I know, you're right. I figured that out later.

My mistake for trying to install the PayPal plugin under an earlier version of GL.

Now I'm going to upgrade to GL 1.8 and proceed. Thanks.

Don

Forum User
Maybe you should be thinking about installing a copy of your site in local with a tool such as WAMP . Like this you could test new plugins and avoid big troubles.

Ben

suprsidr

Forum User
Also for disabling plugins/blocks that take your site down there is also the Geeklog Emergency Rescue Tool
Which is included in GL 2.x

-s
FlashYourWeb and Your Gallery with the E2 XML Media Player for Gallery2 - http://www.flashyourweb.com

winnerdk

Forum User
Quote by: ::Ben

Maybe you should be thinking about installing a copy of your site in local with a tool such as WAMP . Like this you could test new plugins and avoid big troubles.

Ben

Hey Ben, are you talking about this?

http://www.wampserver.com/en/

Can I use this to set up a complete version of my website on a local Windows computer, and then once I've got it all tweaked up and working, I can just upload those files to the "real" server?

That would be a great, if that's what it does.

Don
www.panama-guide.com

winnerdk

Forum User
Quote by: suprsidr

Also for disabling plugins/blocks that take your site down there is also the Geeklog Emergency Rescue Tool
Which is included in GL 2.x

-s

I've been contemplating upgrading to GL 2.x but don't know if I should take the leap. Right now I'm running GL 1.7.1sr1 on my primary site, and it's time for an upgrade.

Honestly, I dread having to do these because they never go smoothly, and it can take hours to get everything up and working right again.

I know GL 2.x is in the "release candidate" stage. Is there any idea on when an "official" GL 2.x release will be turned loose. I just don't feel comfortable trusting the site to a "candidate."

Don
www.panama-guide.com

winnerdk

Forum User
(Is it possible to delete a post? This one was an accidental duplicate, because the site hiccuped as I was trying to post.)

Don

Forum User
Yes WAMP can do this for you. You can also upgrade to Geeklog 2 (stable release) on your local test site, then if everything is ok upgrade your live site.

And yes theer was a link to the wiki page in my previous post but the link color for this new theme is not top

maybe we need to change this (make more blue) before Geeklog 2 release.

Ben

winnerdk

Forum User
Quote by: ::Ben

Yes WAMP can do this for you. You can also upgrade to Geeklog 2 (stable release) on your local test site, then if everything is ok upgrade your live site.

And yes theer was a link to the wiki page in my previous post but the link color for this new theme is not top

maybe we need to change this (make more blue) before Geeklog 2 release.

Ben

OK, just to be clear, you mentioned GL 2.0 (stable release). Is that the same as GL 2.0.0rc1 ?

Also, you linked to a Wiki page for WAMP, and the reason I asked the question was because I found another (different) page to a download site for the software. I wanted to make sure the two were the same.

Thanks.

Don
www.panama-guide.com

Forum User
Your link seems to be the good one to the WAMP software.

You can test upgrade to Geeklog 2.0.0rc1 on your WAMP test site and tell us if everything is ok, but I will wait to final release to go live.

Ben

winnerdk

Forum User
I think I'm going to upgrade my site to GL 1.8.1 in the meantime, and then "play" with the WAMP and GL 2.x for awhile.

Thanks again.

Hey, if you get a chance -- I'm in the process of switching my site over to a "pay for subscription" model, and I'm going to be using your PayPal plugin to help manage that.

As a matter of fact, that's what caused this problem in the first place, when I tried to install the PayPal plugin on a site running an older version of GL.

I've started another topic on the forum asking the question about the best way to manage a "pay for subscription" website, and I would love to get your input.

My thought is to try to find a way for the Title of the article and the introduction to be viewed by the public (and Google, for SEO), and then the text of the main body would be accessible for members only.

Can you give me any suggestions on what's the best way to get there? Have you done this before?

Thanks.

Don

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:41 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content