Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 02:51 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Configuration Links not working

gtgillis

Forum User
I have been running Geeklog on a Windows 2000 server since 2006 but with the 1.8.0 requirement of PHP 5.2 I decided that I would install it on a LAMP server on a newer PC. The Ubuntu server 11.04 system installed without a problem. I moved the files and database and did a migrate install. Initially everything appeared to work until I clicked on the configuration page. I could see the Geeklog->Site config but when I tried clicking on the other links for Stories, Theme, Blocks, etc I stayed on the main Site config page. I remembered seeing a post from Dirk that the configuration page uses javascript so initially I thought it was a rights issue with that directory but after checking I found the permissions were correct.

I copied phpinfo.php into the javascript directory and I would get a not found error when I tried to run it. I then tried renaming the directory from javascript to js and was able to run phpinfo.php without any trouble. This narrowed my search down to something most likely related to apache.

After some searching I found the file /etc/apache2/conf.d/javascript-common.conf has a alias reference so that any attempt to load files from a directory on the server named javascript would be loaded from /usr/share/javascript instead. I commented out the code below and restarted apache and the Geeklog configuration links all work properly.

Before
Text Formatted Code

Alias /javascript /usr/share/javascript/

<Directory "/usr/share/javascript/">
        Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews
</Directory>

After
Text Formatted Code

#Alias /javascript /usr/share/javascript/

#<Directory "/usr/share/javascript/">
#       Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews
#</Directory>

If this is the default behavior of new apache installations the Admins here may want to consider changing the name of the javascript directory in future versions of Geeklog.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Thanks for tracking this down.

Now that you mention it, that could explain the problem someone else had over here.

bye, Dirk

GregBCS

Anonymous
thoughtful
Hi,
I have just installed geeklog 1.8.1 (as a subpage) on a new server I just moved my site to. I didn't use Migrate. The site is at
www.BestChartSoftware.com/blog

I seem to find everything working except after logging in as admin and selecting configuration I pretty much get a blank page except for header and footer. Also when I select Contribute, or Stories/Create New, from within Admin, I get the Story Editor heading , but the rest is blank. However if I login as an ordinary user I am able to contribute a new story (so the problem seems to be in admin).

This may be two separate problems, however the first seems a lot like the post above. It is not clear to me where the PHP formatted example code is that I need to comment out. Could someone please let me know, and possibly something else to check if that is not the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

GregBCS

Anonymous
thoughtful
By the way, I did look in my /usr/etc/ folder but there is no similar file name in there to edit.

cokee88

Forum User
I have been running windows 7 and i want to operate Geeklog on my windows 7. Here is I see some errors before running. Anyone can write me how to modify this application. Thank you.

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:51 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content