Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 07:46 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

EnkelAdress.com, Need feedback on theme layout

Andreas

Forum User
Hi! I'm just starting to enter stories on my GeekLog site, I've made some major modifications to the theme to match my requirements. I'm just wondering if anyone of you could take the time to have a look at the site and let me know of what you make of it, both in terms of layout and it's content. I'm also in the search for a plugin that will let me have a "related stories" section somewhere on the site so if any you have a suggestion I'd be happy to know about it. If not I'll probably end up doing my own using the meta tags, but I'd rather not. EnkelAdress.com, The content varies from Science, SciFi to web/software development. Thank you in advance /Andreas

Andreas

Forum User
I managed to hack together a really crude "related stories" function and wrote down the steps I took to do it. Here's a description of what I did. It's very crude and open for improvements, but in my case it gets the job done. Just thought I'd share if anyone is interested. Cheers

::Ben

Forum User
related stories

:shakehands: It could be a nice feature geeklog 1.8.1

::Ben

P.S : I like your site colors. Maybe the site title could also be blue and not touching the menu elements :kickcan:
I'm available to customise your themes or plugins for your Geeklog CMS

Andreas

Forum User
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I'm no web designer so it's nice to hear that the color scheme isn't utterly crap. I've just updated the related stories code (had some pretty obvious bugs in it) and it now works a lot better, even fine I have to say. You don't happen to know what would be required to make this a simple plugin or block? I think this would be better than the currently available "what's related" section. Update code is at EnkelAdress Cheers

Roccivic

Forum User
Quote by: Andreas

You don't happen to know what would be required to make this a simple plugin or block?
I think this would be better than the currently available "what's related" section.

I use the plugin toolkit to make geeklog plugins: http://project.geeklog.net/cgi-bin/hgwebdir.cgi/plugin-toolkit/
Not sure if there is packaged version of it. The link above is a mercurial repository...

Rouslan

edit: found the packaged version: http://www.geeklog.net/filemgmt/index.php?id=941

Roccivic

Forum User
By the way this should probably go into core, rather than a plugin: http://project.geeklog.net/tracking/view.php?id=1289

Andreas

Forum User
Thanks. The relevance check I have on my site isn't optimal, but produces the desired result in my case.

I think the relevance check could be better using a formula more like (number of similar meta tags in other story + average hits per month and sort them by the length of the story).

Another option would of course be to use the story text to check for tags, but I think it's nice to know I can control what stories to show using the meta tags..

It would be great to have this in the core so I could update to the latest version of GL without losing the feature.

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:46 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content