Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 07:26 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Permissions issues on stories

worldfooty

Forum User
Hi,

I've had an annoying little problem for many versions of Geeklog now. It is not a major problem but would be nice to fix.

My site's editors and myself all have Story Admin which I gather means we can edit submissions from the general public. I'm sure it used to mean we could edit each other's stories as well but that stopped being the case at some point in time.

But what we are increasingly finding is that e.g. I create a story as myself and save it, then in the Story List it shows the story as being by me, but read-only, even though I am still logged in as myself.

Similarly other editors for us have complained they can no longer edit their own articles.

The only solution is to log in as Admin which has additional powers like Root access.

What could be causing this? It only happens for some stories. Could it be some deep down setting that is getting confused between Admin and the user? Because all my editors can also log in as Admin so maybe there's a cookie or something that is confusing Geeklog, so although it saves under the user's name it maybe saves it with Admin access only?

Cheers,
Brett

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Two things to keep in mind: Topic permissions and default story permissions. Both can be changed Smile

See Setting up a Story Admin (which still refers to config.php - the default permissions are in the Configuration admin panel now, of course).

bye, Dirk

worldfooty

Forum User
Thanks, that seems to have fixed things.

It's actually kind of complicated isn't it.

A few of my new topics had defaulted to Access Rights of Topic Admin whereas all others had been Story Admin. So people could write a story but not edit it. I hadn't spotted that it was just those 2 topics. So I've set them to Story Admin. I can now edit my own stories again!

And as for not being able to edit the stories of other editors, I think the default in stories was not allowing Group edit. So I've changed the default so in future it is on.

I'll report back if it goes wrong, but this may have fixed some long term annoyances thanks!

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:26 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content