Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 03:05 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Step 1 - file permissions

andyofne

Forum User
Chatty
I've tried using 'search' on this site but it returns nothing when I put "permissions" in, I don't think that's possible.

Anyway, I have a dedicated server box with apache, php, and mysql installed.

Everything is fresh and up-to-date.

I set up geeklog in a directory within /var/www/html. I changed the DocumentRoot on the web server to point to the public_html directory in the geeklog folder.

That seemed to work okay.

When I go to the installation I get a page telling me that my file permissions are not correct yet what it shows me indicates otherwise, see below:

Step 1 - Set File Permissions

Error There are still a few files or directories that have incorrect permissions. You cannot proceed until all permissions are correctly set.

File/Directory Permissions

/var/www/html/geeklog/db-config.php Change to 666 (Currently 666)

/var/www/html/geeklog/backups/ Change to 777 (Currently 777)

/var/www/html/geeklog/data/ Change to 777 (Currently 777)

/var/www/html/geeklog/logs/error.log Change to 666 (Currently 666)

/var/www/html/geeklog/public_html/siteconfig.php Change to 666 (Currently 666)

/var/www/html/geeklog/public_html/backend/geeklog.rss Change to 666 (Currently 666)

/var/www/html/geeklog/public_html/images/articles/ Change to 777 (Currently 777)

/var/www/html/geeklog/public_html/images/topics/ Change to 777 (Currently 777)

/var/www/html/geeklog/public_html/images/userphotos Change to 777 (Currently 777)
Advanced Users

If you have command line (SSH) access to your web server then you can simply copy and paste the following command into your shell:

Running the command supplied actually set EVERYTHING to 777 so i went back and changed those indicated above to 666.

What could possibly cause the installation script to report a permission problem? Is thee something I've overlooked?

Thanks,

Andrew

andyofne

Forum User
Chatty
Do you have to be logged in to this site to use the search tool? It seems to be working fine now though I haven't seen exactly the same issues (still looking).

andyofne

Forum User
Chatty
You can pretty much ignore this... it was SELinux preventing something from working.

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:05 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content