Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 05:51 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Can't get [page_break] function to work

MrG

Anonymous
This one I can't figure out. As per my last post, this is what I was trying to make work when I messed up my database, which I was able to fix.

I have enabled ALL html functions in the admin console and can't seem to make [page_break] work so I can have multiple pages for one story. I've tried using the page break function in the advance editor and the one above, and nothing works. I'm logged in as the main admin.

I am running GL v 1.7.0

I've tried putting these commands in Intro Text field and the Body Text Field. I've tried [page_break] and [page_break:] and without the [ ] brackets, and all I get are those words shown in the story. What am I missing? Got to be something simple that I'm just not seeing.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The syntax is [page_break] - without any colons or such.

I just tested it on the demo site and it works as expected. If you're quick, you may still be able to see it there: http://demo.geeklog.net/article.php?story=20101012061741698

(the demo site is reset every hour, so it'll be gone soon).

Effectively, I added this as the body text:

Text Formatted Code
Some body text

[page_break]

Some more body text

and it created a second page:
Some body text

Please continue reading on the next page: First | Previous | 1 2 | Next | Last

bye, Dirk

MrG

Anonymous
I see that your works, but mine still doesn't. I copied and pasted your code into one of my story pages, and still nothing. This is what I see after I save the page.

[page_break]
Education -
[page_break]
Training -
Some body text
[page_break]
Some more body text
--------------------------------------------------------

I've just gone back in and double checked ALL the admin configuration pages, and can't seem to find anything wrong. ALL the html functions are enabled. The only php function I found was for static pages, and that is enabled.

I just did the upgrade to 1.7.0 the end of last week. Is there something I need to change outside the admin that I haven't done?

Rich

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
There's an "Allow Page Breaks?" option in the Configuration under "Stories and Trackback" that I forgot about. Is that enabled?

bye, Dirk

MrG

Anonymous
That's enabled also. I even tried using the page break function in the advanced editor, and still no luck.

This is a brand new install of GL, and I haven't changed anything except the theme. I am using the Ivy_League. That's the only change I made from the original install.

MrG

Anonymous
While waiting, I just did the following, again with no luck.

I host with HostGator.Com, and installed a second copy of GL on my site under a totally different directory. The version they provide through their control panel is v1.6.1 . My main program has been upgraded to v1.7.0, so the version doesn't seem to be the problem.

I went into the admin section and made sure all the html, php and allow page break were enabled. I then created a new story page, added the [page_break] command, and it doesn't work. Just shows me that text along with any other text. No page break.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Tried it again with a local install (a fresh install of 1.7.0 that was updated to 1.7.1rc1 for testing). Again, works for me.

You did save the story, I assume? The [page_break] is displayed as-is during the preview and only interpreted when the story was saved and viewed via article.php

bye, Dirk

MrG

Anonymous
Just an update.....

I just checked a couple of the other html codes like [story:] and [static_page] and they work just fine, which tells me that the html codes are active for my GL. However, the [page_break] still doesn't work for me.

Could my hosting account be missing something that could be stopping this from working?

Anyone else have any ideas.

I'd really like to get this function to work if I can.

Rich

MrG

Anonymous
Dirk;

Do I need to install a plugin to make this work? I saw a couple "Autotag" plug-ins listed on your site, but they had relatively old dates.

Also, in your "Autotag" documentation you indicate the following .....

"The new config.php option $_CONF['disable_autotags'] has been introduced for precisely that purpose."

I have looked, and I can't find a config.php file that refers to .... 'disable_autotags'.

Am I missing a file?

Just curious.

Rich

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
Nope it doesn't need a plugin.

I just tried it and was also able to get it to work. At first I thought it wasn't working because I was using the page break in the IntroText. Once I put it into the Body Text it worked.

One question, does it list [page_break] as an option to use when editing a story? This ican be found in red text under the Body Text called "Allowed HTML Tags:"

Tom
One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

MrG

Anonymous
Yes Dirk, is does list all that in red under the text boxes in both my real site and my test site. I went through ALL the admin settings to make sure I got all of them the same in both sites.

I have also tried several times to see if it would work in either the intro text box and the body text box, but it still won't work even after upgrading to v1.7.0, which I did just a couple days ago.

HOWEVER, just for the heck of it, I just downloaded and upgraded my test site to the beta version 1.7.1rc1 and that one now works. Not in the intro text box but in the body text box as you mentioned. I actually cut and pasted a story from the real v1.7.0 install, which doesn't show anything in the body text box after saving the story, directly to the test site running v1.7.1rc1 and that one shows the additional pages.

Could there be something missing in v1.7.0?

Also, beings my site is brand new, would you see any problems upgrading the real site to this beta version? That way I can use that feature, which I really need.

Rich

::Ben

Forum User
Hi,

Could there be something missing in v1.7.0?

I don't think so. Page break is working on my 1.7.0 test site.

::Ben
I'm available to customise your themes or plugins for your Geeklog CMS

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: MrG
Also, beings my site is brand new, would you see any problems upgrading the real site to this beta version? That way I can use that feature, which I really need.

You shouldn't really use a release candidate or beta release for a production site as it has new features and changes that have not been widely tested.

That being said 1.7.1 is mostly just a bug fix from 1.7.0 so hopefully not too many new bugs were created. You will have to make the decision on your own and weigh the pros and cons.

MrG

Anonymous
Thanks Ben. Thanks Dirk.

Really appreciate everyone trying to help with this. This will be my last post about this. Can't believe mine are the only installs that don't work with that one autotag. I'll just upgrade to the beta version and take my chances down the road.

Thanks again.

Rich

ragortue

Forum User
Hi MrG, just curious here. Did the upgrade fix the issue for this?

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
As far as I know page break was fixed a while ago. Give it a try on the demo site to double check.

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:51 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content